Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-07-2004

tuckersail is on a distinguished road
KEEP BIRD POOP OFF YOUR DECKS

After years of thiught and invenying various gizmos, I, while sitting on the dock in deep contemplation came up with a solution which is cheap and effective. At the local hardware store I purchased for $1.99 a roll of surveyors tape. I then lowered my halyards ( with a tagline attached ), tied about 3 feet of the tape at the approx level by trial and error to blow in the breeze at the masthead and just above the spreaders. No poop. The tape, if snagged in the rigging will not foul it because the tape tears fairly easily. Try it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

Okay, put your superior brain to this: How do I keep the damn seagulls from using my boat as their personal restroom without destroying the aesthetics? Iíve seen people who use fake owls aboard their boats, supposed to scare away the birds, but the gulls are smarter then that. Iíve seen a gull perched right on the head of one of those things! Sound emitters are out as I donít have the battery capacity to run one for days and days. I donít want to have ďcautionĒ tape flying everywhere over my boat and a ďcatís cradleĒ of small stuff would be an equal pain in the butt to remove and replace as washing the guano off the decks.

Anyone?
Old 03-15-2004

Wega24 is on a distinguished road

seen my neighbor pulling up those ever present AOL cd''s ( I would think that some M@M ( spelling ?) would work as well. He has a little hole drilled in them and pulls a fishing line up the mast. It doesnt look all that bad , even technical , and some music cd''s are better up there, than too close to the player anyhow.lol

seem to work as he tries out all kind of gizmos on his boat, but he sticks to the CD''s..

Thorsten
Old 03-16-2004

PaulBl is on a distinguished road

In general if a flock of birds decides to roost on your boat on a regualr basis the only cure is to move the boat or sink it. Nothing will really work. Good news is you don''t have to move it very far. A short distance is often all that is required. FWIW, the same goes for trees as it does for boats except to move the tree you cut it down.

All these gagets and owls and such basically may convince a bird that isn''t all that serious to move on. They never work for a serious flock.
Old 03-17-2004

tuckersail is on a distinguished road

try this. monofiliment line attached tightly 1-2 inches above the spreaders. works and they cannot be seen. another thing im trying is this;i went to the masthead with sandpaper, epoxy and several pieces of plastic hanger cut into 4-5 inch pieces. clean off the masthead with the sandpaper, apply a bit of epoxy and, well, you see where im going with this. not unsightly, cant be seen and it works. also a good chance to do an inspection of things
Old 03-18-2004

DelmarRey is on a distinguished road

The little black birds in my area like to fly up to the stays and shrouds and latch on hanging sideways leaving the mess. Blackberry season is especially messy. Claps, pops or whistles is the only thing that gets theses guys off and then they turn right back around and latch on again.
I suggest you just live with nature and put on a cover when your gone. Otherwise keep a bucket and brush handy. Just be glad that pelicans don''t land on boats. Oops! If it''s unattended on a hook then it''s fair game for them too!
Old 03-18-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough

We have wind-screaming wire.
I built a little wooden frame and have eight lengths of it strung at various tensions like a lyre.
It has a length of rope tied from one end. A halrad is then attached to the other side of the frame and the thing is hoisted to about the height of the spreaders. The rope form the frame is then tied off to a railing. With the frame in front of the spreaders the wind sounds through the strings (major discord) just in front of the spreaders that birds most like to roost on.

Any less an aggressive sonic deterent has not been effective.

This si only good for when the boat is unattended on its mooring (always points nose to wind, thus noise sweeps back to spreaders).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road

Daisy still makes a fine BB gun hahahahah!