Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2012
westernspirit

westernspirit is on a distinguished road
Replacing Rub rail Pearson 36-2

Hi folks, I am about to start this big project to replace the damaged vinyl plastic port rub rail on my Pearson 36-2. I purchased a new 38 foot long rubrail from DRMarine. The new rub rail goes over an outward flange hull deck joint. About every 8 inches SS bolts go thru rub rail thru this flange and lock nuts below. These bolt heads are then covered by a teak toenail. So my questions/concerns; these bolts have to come out and I have to drill new holes and refasten thru the new rub rail, can I do this all at once, can I take all these thru bolts. Deck-hull joint has a sealant sandwiched by the flanges; is this enough to hold the joint together while I am doing this? Should I try to replace/reseal this joint? Waterproofing would come from sealing the rub rail to decl flange before it is bolted on; best recomendation for this sealing? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

NYSail is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Rub rail Pearson 36-2

Hello... just joined and saw your post. I have a 1986 P36-2 and have replaced my rub rail and also recut and replaced new teak toe rails. There is no need to redrill the bolts in the hull deck joint. When I removed my original toe rub rail, there were areas in the joint that were open... and water was getting in. I cleaned most of the joint and resealed completely... actually put almost a cap of sealant on the edge to keep water out. I put the new rub rail on with my wife and used buytle tape around all through bolts and along the inboard edge. I would push the rail into place, she was on deck and would hold it as I drilled through the original hole into the the rub rail and then she would drop the bolt through. Takes a while but we do not have a single leak. We also had new toe rails cut... look great. If you have any questions regarding the boat drop me a line... we have completely dismantled the entire boat and are doing a complete refit.

Greg
s/v Four the Soul
P36-2 Hull 101
Old 08-24-2013

svRafiki is on a distinguished road

Hey Greg - I have just bought a P36-2, would be interested to see some pics of the process (if you took any?)
Chris
Old 08-28-2013

NYSail is on a distinguished road

Hello Chris. Pictures are limited right now as I am having some storage changes. Anyway, the rub rail is not so bad to replace. Once I took off the old one, I fully scraped and cleaned the hull/deck joint. Mine was in bad shape and had many areas that water would seep in. When cleaned out i resealed with 3M 4000.... was generous with this.
With the rail it is a two person job. The person below will be drilling. The person above will be putting the new rub rail in place and dropping the bolt through. I started at the front and worked my way back. Also, before dropping the rub rail down, I put a string of butyl tape along the entire inside edge as well as "donuts" around the bolt holes on the deck. It gets tricky but the extra effort is well worth the time as now I have no leaks from the rail. area.
If you have any additional questions let me know and I will send you my phone number. I have basically taken my P36-2 (1986 hul 101) apart for a complete refit.

Good Luck
Greg

Tags
pearson rubrail