Questions RE: Installing Interior 12v LED Light Strips - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions RE: Installing Interior 12v LED Light Strips

I had great luck with that bulk strip lighting. I just tapped into the existing lighting circuit. Warm white strips hidden behind shelf fiddles look fantastic. However, Main Sails comments are worrisome.
Old 10-05-2012

Doc_V is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The cheapest LED's, that can actually catch on fire, use a resistor to try and control current. Don't buy "resistive" controlled LED's..

Be careful what you buy when it comes to LED.
Are these what you mean by "resistive controlled"? They appear to have resistors built in to the strip. Are they the so called "cheap ones that catch fire"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

That LED tape is fine, just the way it is. An in-line fuse is always a good idea. To calculate fuse ampacity, check the spec from the manufacturer, several of the ones I checked were 24 watts for a 5 meter tape, which would be a 2 amp draw at 12 volts, use at 2.5 or 3.0 amp fuse. White LEDs are usually higher current - saw one on a quick search that was 14.4 watts per meter, or 72 watts for the 5 meter roll. That would warrant a at least a 7.5 amp fuse. I've actually had good luck finding low amperage glass tube fuses at Home Depot.
Old 10-05-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The circuit breaker is to protect the wire not the lights. As long as the wire to the new LED lights is the same size it was then you can keep that breaker. If you stepped down to a smaller gauge wire and the breaker exceeds that wires ampacity then an additional fuse would be necessary to protect the smaller wire..

To do LED's correctly the need current regulation. Good LED's will have this built in, and you'll pay more. In strip or roll form many don't have any current regulation and require and additional circuitry so as not to overdrive them, heat them up and burn them out early.

Good LED's, that will last, use constant current circuitry

Cheaper LED's, that won't last as long, use a buck converter

The cheapest LED's, that can actually catch on fire, use a resistor to try and control current. Don't buy "resistive" controlled LED's..

Be careful what you buy when it comes to LED.
Resistors are a perfectly valid form of current limiting and for cheap LED products, really common. I design boards with LED's all the time and for low power and low cost the resistor is the way to go. The problem is only efficiency and brightness regulation. You're giving up both with tradeoffs between them if you use a resistor.

In this case, something like this strip can use resistors while still not consuming much power so it's not ideal but not something to particularly concern yourself with.

And to the original question if it's labeled as being for 12V...then it's for 12V (if it's a cheap crappy product that's a different problem). Don't add any more regulation - you could even cause a failure depending on how they are managing current (for example you can't have two current sources in series).

Maine, to add, a Buck is a switching DC-DC converter and if current controlled that would be ideal. "Constant Current" is ambiguous because it includes switching regulators (efficient) and linear current regulators (not efficient).

Last edited by asdf38; 10-05-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
I use the LED strips available at auto parts stores for cars. They work fine. I wire them directly into the lighting circuits. One issue I have not addressed is their low current draw. The old circuit breakers are much too big - I may go back and add very low tubular low amp fuses to the circuits in front of the lights.
My understanding is circuit protection devices (fuses or circuit breakers) protect the wire, not the device. So changing CBs may not be necessary....

Aha, just saw the post above quoting Maine Sail - same thing.