SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Setting a rivet into a tight spot

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Irunbird 
#1 ·
I'm drawing a blank on this one-- even google isn't much help, but I'm sure someone has had a similar problem. I need to set a rivet into a Ronstan clam cleat onto my aluminum boom (for the outhaul), but the depression for each hole is down into a wedge that is approximately 1/4" wide and I cannot fit the rivet gun anywhere close enough to the head of the rivet to capture the pin. I've thought about sliding a bushing over the end, but that may place the pin too far away from the ratchet mechanism in the rivet gun and result in no purchase (I haven't tried it yet, but may in the morning)... Or, should I just resort to using aluminum threadserts, stainless screws and Tefgel?

Ray

#2 ·
Those recesses are intended for flat-head (or maybe pan-head) machine screws.. I can see the problem you'd be having.

I suspect you're going to want to use the screws and the tefgel.. should be easier if you ever need to remove/change things down the road too....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.