SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   High Priced "Marine" Thermostats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92699-high-priced-marine-thermostats.html)

dbruce85 10-03-2012 11:43 AM

High Priced "Marine" Thermostats

I have a Universal 5411 which takes a #275965 Thermostat.
Pricing is anywhere from $75.00 to $120.00, just depends how much you wish to be ripped off.
I have been able to find Kubota parts to cross reference (Z500 engine) for other items. My glow plugs were around $7.00 each compared to about $65.00 for the Universal ones. When I changed them out there were the identical plugs that were in the engine.
Has anyone had any luck finding a cross references for thermostats. Being a fresh water cooled engine I need a 140 degree one.
I am thinking they are probably out there, I just haven't been able to find them.

Tim R. 10-03-2012 11:46 AM

Re: High Priced "Marine" Thermostats

Take it to NAPA. They should be able to help you.

mitiempo 10-03-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbruce85 (Post 929231)
I have a Universal 5411 which takes a #275965 Thermostat.

Being a fresh water cooled engine I need a 140 degree one.

If your engine is fresh water cooled - it has a heat exchanger - you want a 180 degree thermostat. 140 degree thermostats are used in raw water cooled engines so salt deposits do not build up. 180 degrees is better but just won't work on a raw water cooled engine.

MarkSF 10-03-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 929305)
If your engine is fresh water cooled - it has a heat exchanger - you want a 180 degree thermostat. 140 degree thermostats are used in raw water cooled engines so salt deposits do not build up. 180 degrees is better but just won't work on a raw water cooled engine.

The 5411 is raw water cooled, while the large ones have a heat exchanger. 140F is the correct thermostat for the 5411.

dbruce85 10-03-2012 07:32 PM

Sorry, I meant raw water cooled,

Anyone found a cross reference for the thermostat?

CalebD 10-03-2012 10:58 PM

Googling the Z500 Kubota block I get:
'This is a marinized Kubota Z500 block, which is the engine used in the Kubota B5100 tractor'
The tractor model may help you get through some of the Kubota engine parts online website, or not.

I did not see a thermostat listed for your Z500 block/B5100 tractor at two Kubota places I checked. I'm going to guess that it is a standard thermostat and that if you just take it to a good auto store you will be able to match it by eye and temp. setting.

Have you temperature tested the old one in a pot of water while heating? It should open up if it is still working. Thermostats are not as cheap as a set of spark plugs or wires I'll point out. They are a combination of engineering in mechanics and metallurgy in a fairy sophisticated small metal contraption. For comparison: for my Atomic 4 engine the OEM 140F Tstat is ~ $160, the aftermarket Tstat ~ $85 and the cheaper single action Tstat is $30 to replace. I have the el cheapo model on my engine.
Prices are from here: Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts
Perhaps you have the same Tstat housing?

I recently walked into an auto parts store in Marathon, FL that catered to boaters. I found an aisle that had a good portion devoted to just thermostats, carded in plastic bags for outboards and inboards. I'm pretty sure I saw the identical Tstat as is in my engine but did not have mine with me, so I couldn't be sure and did not buy it.

A lot of words to say that Tstats can be expensive and you should be able to find one, somewhere.

Good luck.

JimsCAL 10-04-2012 08:08 AM

The thermostat used in the 5411 is the same as the original one that is used in the Atomic 4. I believe it is a Dole. Not sure, but suspect the thermostat kits for the A4 will work on the 5411. Not going to save you any money however.

emoney 10-04-2012 10:10 AM

+3 on the "Take it out and carry it into an auto parts store". There's only "x" number of T-stats out there and odds are, you'll find one cheaper listed for some other application. However, I think the "cook the one you have" idea is still best, as there's no reason to replace a part that isn't broken. Tstats last a long time.

miatapaul 10-04-2012 01:11 PM

I think the 140 degree is what will make it a "marine only" part. I have never seen an auto or utility t-stat that low. Seems it is only going to be for raw water cooled marine.

gregbasso 04-09-2013 07:09 PM

It is hard to believe the $100 price tag on this thermostat. Seems like the life expectancy is 2 seasons and the price keeps going up. I have found possibly two solutions to further research as a way around paying big bucks for what should be a $10 item. One is a complete replacement of the thermostat and housing. See Indigo Electronics 800-428-8569, web: atomic4.com Cost $150 but the replacement thermostat is a NAPA part. The second is a thermostat made by Mallory Marine - looking a lot like the 5411 thermostat but selling for around $25. Part number 9-43024. Am trying to obtain the dimensions or find a dealer with the Mallory part in stock to compare. If anyone gets there first, let me know.