Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-03-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road
Help! Refinishing Interior Teak

Hi all you teak refinishing experts!

I'm wondering what will be the best type of finish for teak cabinets below decks. I'm refinishing them in my shop then reinstalling in my boat. Cabinet boxes, frames, doors, drawer fronts, etc...

Varnish, and what type, or something else?

Not sure I want to just oil it, but its an option too...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I used Dalys Seafin as a topcoat on my boats teak. Glossy but not too much plus a hard finish. Test it on inconspicuous spot as I applied it over previously refinished teak and new teak plywood to see if you like it.

Tod
Old 10-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Help! Refinishing Interior Teak

Leo,
For cabin bright work you should really be able to use a wide range of finishes, including varnish, oils and even polys. The cabin bright work does not have to stand up to the scourge of constant sun and moisture like your outside wood does.
Asking what brand of varnish is best is like asking what flavor ice cream people like. Out of 20 people you are likely to have 20 + answers.

I'll give you an example: I have used Interlux Schooner varnish. I like the way it smells and it looks nice. I have seen some woodwork done in Epiphanes and it also looks superb. The folks at the Wooden Boat Forum all seem to swear by a French varnish called Le Tonkinoise. I'd recommend all three having only tried one.

Part of your decision should be about what kind of finish you want in your cabin. If you want a matte finish then an oil may be the way to go, if you want a semi-gloss finish then only certain varnishes will give you this. There are quite a few high-gloss finishes you could use.

Ease of maintenance should be another consideration. Oil finishes will require the most maintenance usually. Varnishes should last a good long time in your cabin without much maintenance.

Ease of application or use should be yet another. Oils are easy to apply. Varnish is also pretty easy to use. Urathane finishes like Bristol Finish can be a bear to work with and smell horrible.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-03-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

I like tung oil. It is easy to apply and doesn't bubble. The more coats you put on, the shinier it is.
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Since you're doing it at home, I'd recommend REAL hand rubbed varnish. I did mine at home the following way - first coats of thinned gloss varnish then 3 or 4 coats of full strength, block sanding between the last couple with 220. After achieving a good matte 220 finish I went to 400 wet then 600 wet after which I rubbed it out with fine, hand applied automotive rubbing compound.

Lots of work but it came out gorgeous - a soft gloss, much nicer than the "rubbed effect" varnish but much softer than full gloss.

I regard those "rubbed effect" finishes the same way George Carlin did about chocolate food & drink advertizing.

"What does 'rich, chocolatey flavour mean?' - 'no f**king chocolate'".

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-03-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Leo,

I've been very happy with poly for interior teak. It's nowhere near as demanding to apply well as varnish, and it holds up very well to the bumps and abrasions that typically occur in the cabin.

I used Minwax Helmsman (built the base coats with gloss, then finished with semigloss on most surfaces.) The Helmsman's got a little more body to it so it tends to buld a little faster than Minwax's vanilla poly. There's a little UV protection in the Helmsman as well, but that's not really a major concern below.
Old 10-04-2012

leogallant is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! Gave me lots to think about! :-)

Steve's Ubiquitous Blog

Old 10-04-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

We chose Minwax Wipe-On Poly. It provides a very nice finish and you can't get any easier than wiping a finish on.