SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Diesel Additives (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92735-diesel-additives.html)

paul323 10-04-2012 10:40 AM

Diesel Additives

Wondering is anybody uses diesel additives in their sailboat fuel tank. I was in an autoparts center and saw a row of 'marine' variants claiming biocide, injector cleaning, reduced emissions, etc. Considering I use maybe 6-7 gallons a year, and top up every couple of years, I am not sure if there would be any value in them for me, but thought I would ask....tx.

aa3jy 10-04-2012 11:24 AM

Re: Diesel Additives

I use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver'..OK'd by Mack Boring when I toke their diesel course

dabnis 10-04-2012 03:50 PM

Minnewaska 10-04-2012 05:37 PM

I am always sure to have biocide and fuel stabilizer in my tank. At least one brand of fuel comes with it and adding more is ill advised. In fact, it's a common mistake that boaters add too much.

Just this season, for the first time, I used a cetane booster. The advertised dose can be doubled safely and I did so. I actually noticed a difference in exhaust, power and responsiveness. For the little fuel we burn, I think it was worth it, but not necessary.

remetau 10-04-2012 06:03 PM

I add Mystery Oil to my oil and diesel.

mgiguere 10-04-2012 06:55 PM

In addition to a biocide, I use a product called Stanadyne. It's a diesel fuel cetane enhancer as well as lubricant. Used primarily by truckers, it seems to work great and is not a "Marine" product, so is relatively inexpensive. Check out the web site. Home - Stanadyne

chef2sail 10-04-2012 07:26 PM

We use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver' also, plus a small amt of bicide. Just becareful not to overdue as Minnie said. Ask me how I know ( grrrrr)

dave

davidpm 10-04-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 929763)
We use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver' also, plus a small amt of bicide. Just becareful not to overdue as Minnie said. Ask me how I know ( grrrrr)

dave

What happened? Just smoke or a ring job. Big difference.

miatapaul 10-04-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgiguere (Post 929757)
In addition to a biocide, I use a product called Stanadyne. It's a diesel fuel cetane enhancer as well as lubricant. Used primarily by truckers, it seems to work great and is not a "Marine" product, so is relatively inexpensive. Check out the web site. Home - Stanadyne

This is good stuff and recomended by many manufacturers and is popular with the VW and MB crowd.

also Stanadyne is a OE supplier of injectors, and fuel pumps it is designed to not hurt anything in the fuel system.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

youmeandthed 10-04-2012 11:30 PM

I put a bit of Cetane booster in diesel that has sat for a few months. Biocide, and a clean fuel tank keeps the filters and injectors in good shape. Adding a 10% to 20% Kerosene mix will clean your injectors, but make sure not to do it too much and let the kerosene dry out the seals. For the fill up after add a bit of clean engine oil to your fuel, to keep the seals in good shape.