SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Diesel Additives (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92735-diesel-additives.html)

paul323 10-04-2012 10:40 AM

Diesel Additives

Wondering is anybody uses diesel additives in their sailboat fuel tank. I was in an autoparts center and saw a row of 'marine' variants claiming biocide, injector cleaning, reduced emissions, etc. Considering I use maybe 6-7 gallons a year, and top up every couple of years, I am not sure if there would be any value in them for me, but thought I would ask....tx.

aa3jy 10-04-2012 11:24 AM

Re: Diesel Additives

I use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver'..OK'd by Mack Boring when I toke their diesel course

dabnis 10-04-2012 03:50 PM

I used Powerservice:

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos

for a number of years and never had any fuel related problems.

Paul T

Minnewaska 10-04-2012 05:37 PM

I am always sure to have biocide and fuel stabilizer in my tank. At least one brand of fuel comes with it and adding more is ill advised. In fact, it's a common mistake that boaters add too much.

Just this season, for the first time, I used a cetane booster. The advertised dose can be doubled safely and I did so. I actually noticed a difference in exhaust, power and responsiveness. For the little fuel we burn, I think it was worth it, but not necessary.

remetau 10-04-2012 06:03 PM

I add Mystery Oil to my oil and diesel.

mgiguere 10-04-2012 06:55 PM

In addition to a biocide, I use a product called Stanadyne. It's a diesel fuel cetane enhancer as well as lubricant. Used primarily by truckers, it seems to work great and is not a "Marine" product, so is relatively inexpensive. Check out the web site. Home - Stanadyne

chef2sail 10-04-2012 07:26 PM

We use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver' also, plus a small amt of bicide. Just becareful not to overdue as Minnie said. Ask me how I know ( grrrrr)

dave

davidpm 10-04-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 929763)
We use an FPPF product '8+ Cetane Improver' also, plus a small amt of bicide. Just becareful not to overdue as Minnie said. Ask me how I know ( grrrrr)

dave

What happened? Just smoke or a ring job. Big difference.

miatapaul 10-04-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgiguere (Post 929757)
In addition to a biocide, I use a product called Stanadyne. It's a diesel fuel cetane enhancer as well as lubricant. Used primarily by truckers, it seems to work great and is not a "Marine" product, so is relatively inexpensive. Check out the web site. Home - Stanadyne

This is good stuff and recomended by many manufacturers and is popular with the VW and MB crowd.

also Stanadyne is a OE supplier of injectors, and fuel pumps it is designed to not hurt anything in the fuel system.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

youmeandthed 10-04-2012 11:30 PM

I put a bit of Cetane booster in diesel that has sat for a few months. Biocide, and a clean fuel tank keeps the filters and injectors in good shape. Adding a 10% to 20% Kerosene mix will clean your injectors, but make sure not to do it too much and let the kerosene dry out the seals. For the fill up after add a bit of clean engine oil to your fuel, to keep the seals in good shape.