SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Engine Insulation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/9277-engine-insulation.html)

prussell 03-08-2004 07:17 PM

Engine Insulation

Looking for advice on a good brand of engine insulation. I''ve been told that an insulation with lead would be preferred. Thanks for your help.
Kim

joub 03-08-2004 08:26 PM

Engine Insulation

The West Marine 2003 Catalog has "Noise Barrier Material" on page 327. I installed this material on my boat several years ago. It has done a great job of quieting down my Perkins 4-108!

Fairwinds,

Jim

WHOOSH 03-09-2004 05:23 AM

Engine Insulation

Kim, I''d recommend Soundown...I think they are in the New England area. Practical Sailor thought well of them, they offer multiple thicknesses with either lead or plastic inert mid-barriers (both perform equally BTW tho'' plastic is easier to work with and cheaper to ship), and the folks on the phone are ready to coach you thru the ''which'' and ''how much'' questions.

The difference this product made to our engine box was substantial.

Jack

RichardElliott 03-09-2004 08:13 AM

Engine Insulation

Soundown is at www.soundown.com and their website is packed with excellent technical tips. I am currently installing their 2" foam with a rigid plastic barrier in the middle. Heavy, but it appears excellent. Soundown is in Marblehead and Fort Lauderdale, but I purchased from a Seattle area distributor.

Baron62w 03-09-2004 01:41 PM

Engine Insulation

I''m in the process of installing sound insulation right now. I bought it from J.C. Whitney thru their on line catalog.

docket 03-09-2004 04:45 PM

Engine Insulation

SPM from www.sailorssolutions.com. Great product, self stick, easy to install, quiet. I put it in myself and it shut up my Northern Lights generator that is in the lazarette of my sailboat. All I can hear when it is running is the splash. Need I say more.

Engine Insulation

SPM from www.sailorssolutions.com. Great product, self stick, easy to install, quiet. I put it in myself and it shut up my Northern Lights generator that is in the lazarette of my sailboat. All I can hear when it is running is the splash. Need I say more.

Engine Insulation

Engine Insulation

prussell 03-12-2004 09:41 AM

Engine Insulation

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.
WHOOSH are you in Florida? If so, will you email me at prussell22@earthlink.net.
Thanks,
Kim