SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What's with these flat-bottom mooring buoys? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92778-whats-these-flat-bottom-mooring-buoys.html)

Reef33 10-05-2012 12:26 PM

What's with these flat-bottom mooring buoys?

So, what's with these new flat bottom mooring buoys I am seeing in the catalogs? What would be the benefits to this (aside from the little divot in the top to hold your shackle), does anybody know? I am planning to purchase a new mooring ball and was just wondering why these are any better than the round ones. Thank you!

Link: PENDANT BUOY W/TUBE 2" 18"FLAT BOTTOM HARD SHELL 736572

Brewgyver 10-05-2012 12:54 PM

Re: What's with these flat-bottom mooring buoys?

Maybe the benefits stated in the ad???

Quote:

Jim-Buoy Pendent mooring buoy. 18 buoy with 2 tube diameter. Flat bottomed high density polyethylene hard shell keeps mooring/pendent line dry, and protects your boat from contact with mooring hardware. These pendent buoys won't roll over, are stackable, and have convenient lifting grips.

Reef33 10-05-2012 01:21 PM

Thank you, Brewgyver, for the information. Happily, I too learned to read a few years ago (job requirement). What I was looking for was some practical experience from someone who knows more than the advertisement, or perhaps has one of these. I should have been more specific with my question..... :cool:

Brewgyver 10-05-2012 01:33 PM

Sorry if you thought I was being a smartass, wasn't intended.

Reef33 10-05-2012 01:43 PM

Kinda' came across that way, no offense taken, thanks.

hellosailor 10-08-2012 01:01 AM

Sounds like the big advantages are "stackable" and "lifting grips" so if you own the mooring field and want to store them all in one neat pile in the winter, stackable beats balls.

Just need one? Can't really see any reason to buy just one stackable part.

alturia 10-08-2012 06:17 AM

I switched to one of these buoys so the mooring shackles don't scratch my hull. The flat bottom buoy doesn't lay over on its side as much as a round buoy and so it is less likely that the shackles will come in contact with the hull and scratch it.

Reef33 10-08-2012 11:24 AM

Thanks folks. Heck, I have to buy a buoy anyway, might as well try one of these new fangled contraptions. ;)

hellosailor 10-08-2012 02:03 PM

"The flat bottom buoy doesn't lay over on its side as much as a round buoy "
I could see that in flat water, but once there is some motion, wouldn't the flat bottom buoy tend to actually be pitched around MORE, while a round ball simply sat there and let the water move past it, without being moved as much?
A case where each design worked better under just one set of conditions, and of course in flat water I'd expect neither one to really move around much, unless there was a long lever arm (whip) or other reason involved.