Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-05-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road
Standing rigging replacement question

So I always hear there is the 10-15 year rule of thumb as to when the standing rigging of a boat should be replaced. I do agree too, but I have been looking at multiple used boats ranging in age from 5 years old to 25 years old only to find not a single one of them have had their standing rig replaced. Out of maybe 20+ boats I have enquired about within that time frame or much more, not a single one!!!!

Am I missing something here? Is this one of those unexplainable things like why people never clean their boats before showing it or why they leave them with a mess when they take pictures for the For Sale ads?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Standing rigging replacement question

Most will tell you that a boat should replace it's standing rigging after 20 years. Key is the environment in which the boat is used - lots of use in salt water may require more frequent replacement. Use in temperature extremes where there are of freeze/thaw cycles will stress swages too. You have to go aloft look at the hardware carefully every year and make a decision. But I think that given the cost of re-rigging a boat, most people don't do it. But 20 year old rigging is not anywhere near a death sentence, IMO. I'll probably get jumped on for saying it, but very few recreational rigs come down from failed fittings under conditions in which most of us sail. Rigs have come down, but there are usually other factors involved. I worry far more about hose failure than rig failure.

We have a 1984 boat with original rigging and I have total confidence in the rig. With that said, we'll be replacing ours (finally) next summer. I plan to have the upper ends swaged by a rigger and I'll do the lower ends myself with StaLoc fittings. Easier that way.

Last edited by Sabreman; 10-05-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

Well, I live in south FL, so it is always hot and salty here!
Old 10-05-2012

Eye the fittings carefully. Some will use chalk (the stuff that's used to snap chalk lines) to see if there are cracks in the swages. Lower swages are more likely to fail than upper fittings. In the other hand, upper fittings are inspected far less regularly.
Old 10-05-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Most will tell you that a boat should replace it's standing rigging after 20 years. Key is the environment in which the boat is used - lots of use in salt water may require more frequent replacement. Use in temperature extremes where there are of freeze/thaw cycles will stress swages too. You have to go aloft look at the hardware carefully every year and make a decision. But I think that given the cost of re-rigging a boat, most people don't do it. But 20 year old rigging is not anywhere near a death sentence, IMO. I'll probably get jumped on for saying it, but very few recreational rigs come down from failed fittings under conditions in which most of us sail. Rigs have come down, but there are usually other factors involved. I worry far more about hose failure than rig failure.

We have a 1984 boat with original rigging and I have total confidence in the rig. With that said, we'll be replacing ours (finally) next summer. I plan to have the upper ends swaged by a rigger and I'll do the lower ends myself with StaLoc fittings. Easier that way.
Just wondering, why not staloc on uppers and lowers?
Old 10-06-2012

A neighbor used this approach and it seems like a quicker way to get the job done. It may also be a bit cheaper because swaged fittings are cheaper, I think. I have the dimensions and plan to order the stays a foot longer than necessary, cutting and applying the lower fittings myself. This way, I avoid going aloft to successively remove and Install each stay.
Old 10-06-2012

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my standing rigging last winter on my 1980 Pearson P-35 that has spent its entire life in the Northeast. It was the original rigging! We inspected it every year, it never occured to me that it was the original rigging until after we decided to replace it. I've had the boat for 10 years.

We used Rigging Only. Brought our old rigging to them and they replicated it. It was surprisingly easy. If you search the forum (or google them and you will find their website) you will find other comments on them and other riggers.
Old 10-06-2012

Rigging Only is great. I used them when we replaced our lifelines 2 years ago. They were original too.
Old 10-06-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

There's this:

35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

This link isn't pasting properly even though it looks fine on the edit page. Go to page 2 of this Gear & Maintenance page and find it. And read it.

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 10-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.