Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 10-11-2012

Re: Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP

Yes it happens, but the likely cause was age and weathering. Of course severe impacts don't help either!

If the end caps aren't expensive, just order spares, or at least keep an eye on the new ones and replace them if they look suspect.

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 10-11-2012

Re: Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP

There are now alloy end caps to replace the plastic ones. Part # HC2276. In the attached link look about halfway down the page for the paragraph that begins "If you've ever busted the plastic ends on your pre-2004 traveler car, you know what walking on marbles is like." APS - Harken Micro and Small Boat Traveler Components

The other thing that was pointed out is that these are old cars. Mine was built in 1987 and has worked for 25 full seasons before this failure. I am not worried about failure again in my lifetime!

Note - in the link above the forum seems to have put my link under the word APS and Sailnet Store link under the word Harken. Click on the APS word.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikehoyt; 10-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.