Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: extending the season a bit

I use my boat every winter. I winterize the fresh water system and head when temps drop consistently below freezing. The engine not until water temps are in the low thirties and the air is below freezing day and night. If you fear cold snaps at night before winterizing, start and warm the engine in the evening. Heating the block to 190 will keep it from freezing before morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

There are a number of downsides to sailing in Southern California. Fortunately, "seasons" (in the Mid-Atlantic and New England sense) aren't one of them.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-09-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
Hello,

I am taking delivery of a new Beneteau 41 this week in Annapolis and would like to keep sailing until Thanks Giving and fully winterize after that. Although winter takes usually until January to really set in here, there is always a possibility to get a couple chilling nights here and there and I am trying to find a way to prevent freezing damage if this should occur. My boats will be docked in a nice marina with dock power. Can I possibly leave a small ceramic heater on to maintain enough warmth in the boat? My A/C system can also heat but am not sure I can leave it on 24/7. Any thoughts?
Tele-

I would simply monitor forecasts closely between now and when you expect to stop sailing. Monitor air and water temperatures where you keep the boat.

As air temperatures approach freezing, I'd begin winterizing the fresh water systems. At that point, I might put 1 or 2, 100 watt drop-lights in the engine compartment. They are safer than a forced air heater, yet still provide surprising warmth. Plenty for an engine.

As water temperatures finally approach 30F-32F, I'd winterize the engine and be done for the season. I realize that Chesapeake water is brackish, but depending on what creek you're docked in, the salinity may lean towards the fresh end of things, so the freezing temperature will be higher than pure ocean brine.
-----------------------

As far as heaters go, I agree with those who say that if your wiring is sound, and of the proper capacity, and your heater is in good condition, then you're about as safe as you're going to get.

I installed my shore power system. I used the proper components for marine wiring and I check everything regularly. I also check if the heater's power cord is getting hot, as was suggested previously.

I use the oil filled, electric radiator heater. They are safer and draw slightly less amps than a forced-air ceramic heater because the element is always submerged in oil. The radiators are the heater of choice for liveaboards in my marina. Last night, our temps were down to 48F. I set my radiator to the 300 watt setting and perfectly comfortable while sleeping.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-09-2012

telecam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
snip....
By the way Telecam, am I to understand that you have a heat pump on your boat? (I am guessing that is what you mean by "dual heat/A-C?) If so, and you are on shore power, why don't you just leave that set low enough so it only comes on if it gets really cold.
Yes, I do have a heat pump, that is why I thought leaving it in heat mode just for a few days before I winterize the boat early in december may just be the easy, safest thing to do.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012

telecam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Tele-

snip..

I use the oil filled, electric radiator heater. They are safer and draw slightly less amps than a forced-air ceramic heater because the element is always submerged in oil. The radiators are the heater of choice for liveaboards in my marina. Last night, our temps were down to 48F. I set my radiator to the 300 watt setting and perfectly comfortable while sleeping.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.