Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-07-2012

aravella is on a distinguished road
Identifying the type of sail

Hi, I am a newbie who happens to have a very large sail and no sailboat at the moment. I would like to sell the sail, but need some info to help identify it. I might have to pull it out again, to see the details. Basically, how do I tell if it's a mainsail or a headsail? Neither corner was 90 degrees. It's a Hood and it's dimensions are 68.5', 69.5', and the foot is 38.5'. It seems in really good shape. It has triple stitching and the webbing seems strong. No worn spots. I would really appreciate some help identifying it and where to sell it! I have a lot of other pics too if they would help. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying the type of sail-img_20120622_121701-sm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Identifying the type of sail

A few more details would help. I would imagine a mainsail would be about 90 degrees at the tack. Is there a bold rope on the foot? Battens? BTW, how did you end up with this big-mother of a sail?
Old 10-07-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

with those dimensions it would be a Genoa for a 55 ' or so boat. dacron sails this size do not sell for very well, even the used sail dealers only get around $ 500 to $800. just not much market for sails that big. you could sell it to a used sail dealer like Minney's on the west or Bacon in the east but you would have to get it to them and then you will only get about $200 for it. sails like that all all over the place and many that have old sails for there boat that they no longer use will give them away just so they do not have to store them. just took 7 old racing sail for a 42' race boat to minney's and we got $300 in store credit for all of them
Old 10-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The only way that both edges are that close in size, while the foot is that much smaller, is if the sail is triangular in shape. Which makes it a headsail or some kind, not a main. A main would also have some type of hardboard "sandwich" up top to reinforce the fitting, a foresail won't. No reefing points? No batten pockets? Definitely a foresail.

But at this point the question is what condition is the sail in? Is it dacron with a plastic coating? (Good condition) Is the coating worn off and the sail smooth like bedding? (Worthless or not worth much.) Stitching any good or looking like perforations?

Odds are someone would need to really look it over and measure it, unless you're selling ti to the local budget boaters who aren't concerned about fit but just want cheap. In which case you're going to pay to mail it off to Bacon or another experienced shop if there's no loft in your area, and just rely on their expertise and reputation.
Old 10-08-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
. just took 7 old racing sail for a 42' race boat to minney's and we got $300 in store credit for all of them
7 sails for $300? Surely you could have got more than that! I am sure the store will get at least that much for each of them!
Hull#101
Old 11-07-2012

aravella is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, thanks for the input. Sorry it took so long to respond, I lost the link until Sailnet sent me an email to remind me to come back!

I gave the sail to a friend to someday take to Minney's to trade for something, perhaps a wind generator.

Take care!