SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Riddles with a Prize, by Mantus Anchors

13K views 93 replies 32 participants last post by  ebs001 
#1 ·
Ok here are the rules: I will post the riddle and the first person to answer the riddle correctly gets to win a Stainless Steel Mantus Hook with free shipping.
We will try it this week and see how it goes,,,

Ok so here is the riddle:

There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?

Post the answer on this thread first and win a Mantus Chain Hook!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Sent you a PM with the answer but I'm guessing that being in Australia I'm not eligible for the prize.

Shame, I'm in the market for a hook.

Andrew B

Actually on second thoughts I don't think moderators should be eligible.

ab

#12 ·
Sent you a PM with the answer but I'm guessing that being in Australia I'm not eligible for the prize.

Shame, I'm in the market for a hook.

Andrew B

Actually on second thoughts I don't think moderators should be eligible.

ab
Naaah. Aussie's and Maderator's are people too. Congrats TDW!
Perhaps Mantus needs a few contacts down under to set up distribution there.

Now if the rest of us who are still sitting in the dark could have a peek at the accepted correct answer ...

#4 ·
Flip one switch on and wait a minute. Flip it off and flip another switch on. Go to the attic. The switch you just flipped corresponds to the light that's on. Feel the two bulbs that are off. The switch you flipped first corresponds to the hot bulb, while the switch you never flipped corresponds to the room-temperature

#7 ·
I believe this has been answered correctly, but since I am on the hunt for a new anchor for my girl Sea Diamond, (Beneteau Oceanis 38), I'll put my name out there for advice on your recommended model. So far, I've had good resuts with a 35lb CQR, but it is now a bit "kinky" after a collision with a huge nav aid that was hiding out behind the jib. Oh well, if only once every 30 years I guess that's OK - best thing though, the crumpling of the anchor totally protected the boat from any damage whatsoever. (Just dumb luck on that one). Oh yeah, the nav aid was one of those HUGE barrels the navy uses for mooring (they call then "Trot Buoys")About 15ft. diameter and 30 ft. long floating on its side and cladded with 4x4 timbers - it too was un harmed.

For the record, I agree with a previous post...
Activate Sw#1 for 5 minutes. Turn it off.
Activate Sw#2 and immediately RUN to the actic.
Lit bulb is Sw#2, Hot bulb is Sw#1 and cold bulb is Sw#.

Hopefully the original poster has already won an anchor, but maybe I will get an opinion on an anchor type for my 38 ft. 17,000 lb. Beneteau. Anchorage is usually mud bottom - I have a Danforth for backup/sandy bottom.

Les

#17 · (Edited)
I believe this has been answered correctly, but since I am on the hunt for a new anchor for my girl Sea Diamond, (Beneteau Oceanis 38), I'll put my name out there for advice on your recommended model.
Les

Les, as you can imagine there are many opinions on anchors choice and on this forum there are pages of discussion on the topic. My personal opinion is that newer generation anchors: Spade, Manson Supreme, Rocna, Mantus, Ultra offer a more reliable set than the competition. In really soft mud I think a Fortress or a big Dan forth actually are more efficient. What we claim is the most reliable set, especially in hard to penetrate bottoms. We concentrated on this feature bc in an emergency you don't have time to nurse an anchor or try to find a place where it will grab, another feature of the Mantus is that it breaks down for easy storage. I am sure other members of the Sailnet community would love to share their advice..... feel free to call me and/or private message me with questions any time.....
PS sorry about the accident, glad the boat is OK
Greg

#19 ·
Of course Andrew (TDW) won. It is absolutely no fair since that questio n purtains what he does for a living. Andrew is a world renown and highly esteemed expert in lighting. Seriously, Goodonya Andrew.

Greg: Are you in Annapolis for the shows?

Jeff

#13 ·
There were many right responses, but TDW was the first!!! ;)

tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Riddle Answer
Turn two of the light switches on. After a couple of minutes turn one of them off, then enter the room. One light will be on, two will be off but one of the two will be warm to the touch.

Cheers

Andrew B

#20 ·
We are planning to post a riddle once a week on Monday mornings!
PS the prize on the last riddle was a Mantus Chain Hook not the anchor...
We will change the prize every week to keep things interesting....;)
I think this could be really fun....
Greg

#22 ·
Greg,
do you have any distributors in the Annapolis area? I seldom buy something as important as an anchor without putting a hand on it first.

Not that my fingers are good for tensile strength testing or such, it's just a thing..

#23 ·
No unfortunately we don't, but I can guarantee you that if you make a purchase through the Sailnet store and for any reason you don't like what you get or it just does not work for you I will refund you and pay for return shipping (no questions asked)...
Greg

#24 ·
Ok Guys the new Riddle:

Puzzle:

Velocity of Object 1 is constantly changing, but is always less than velocity of the Object 2. Object 2 velocity also changes constantly, but is always directed at the same angle as velocity of Object 1. Both objects are completely motionless relative to each other.
Be the first to describe a scenario when this happens and win a Mantus Hook.

#25 ·
Two objects on parallel courses. With constantly changing velocity..

An example would be two sattelites whose orbits are 180º apart orbiting the same planet.

#31 ·
The key to this is the viewers angle to the two objects.

Object 1 and Object 2 are traveling on parallel courses. Viewer is either watching them go away or towards them so that the appear as point objects. Think of standing in the middle of a road and watch two cars slowly drive away from you. The distance that they are from each other never changes relative to your view point.

DrB

#35 ·
Ok Sailnetters! This one is for a 8 lbs Mantus Anchor as a prize.... Dinghy anchor...
By the way sorry I am late,,, but we had a problem with the surface finish of our hooks and have been busy refinishing the hooks and taking care of customers......

A sculptor named White, a violinist named Black, and an artist named Red meet in a cafe. One of the three says: " I have black hair, and you two have red hair and white hair, respectively, but none of us has a hair color that matches his name." White responds: "you are correct" What color is the artist's hair?

Greg

#37 · (Edited)
The artist has black hair.

White replies so he is not speaking, either Red or Black is speaking. Since the hair color does not match the name, Red must be speaking and is either white or black. White is either red or black haired. Black is white or red haired. White knows his own hair color, which can't be white; the speaker can't be Black since Black cannot have black hair, so it must be Red, the artist, with black hair.

#39 ·
Given: none of us has a hair color that matches his name
The statement: "I have black hair" cannot have been made by Mr. Black.
Since the reply by Mr. White of "you are correct" implies that he did not make the defining statement, nor did Mr. Black. So the artist Mr. Red made the statement: "I have black hair".
Given that Mr. Red has black hair there are only 2 remaining hair colors to be assigned to this colorful trio: red and white hair. Since Mr. White cannot have white hair, his hair color must be red leaving Mr. Black with white hair.

edit to add: Damn! Not quick enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.