SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Riddles with a Prize, by Mantus Anchors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92848-riddles-prize-mantus-anchors.html)

Mantus Anchors 10-08-2012 01:34 AM

Riddles with a Prize, by Mantus Anchors

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here are the rules: I will post the riddle and the first person to answer the riddle correctly gets to win a Stainless Steel Mantus Hook with free shipping.
We will try it this week and see how it goes,,,

Ok so here is the riddle:

There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?

Post the answer on this thread first and win a Mantus Chain Hook!

AlaskaMC 10-08-2012 02:37 AM

Re: Riddles with a Prize, by Mantus Anchors

Dang! I know the answer to this and yet I don't have a sailboat that would merit a hook as kingly as yours yet. So I will let it go to the next bidder.

Stupid dingy sailing! :D Guess I need to step up the search. I am already an anchor short!

tdw 10-08-2012 03:22 AM

Sent you a PM with the answer but I'm guessing that being in Australia I'm not eligible for the prize.

Shame, I'm in the market for a hook.

Andrew B

Actually on second thoughts I don't think moderators should be eligible.

ab

svzephyr44 10-08-2012 03:39 AM

Flip one switch on and wait a minute. Flip it off and flip another switch on. Go to the attic. The switch you just flipped corresponds to the light that's on. Feel the two bulbs that are off. The switch you flipped first corresponds to the hot bulb, while the switch you never flipped corresponds to the room-temperature

SchockT 10-08-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svzephyr44 (Post 930700)
Flip one switch on and wait a minute. Flip it off and flip another switch on. Go to the attic. The switch you just flipped corresponds to the light that's on. Feel the two bulbs that are off. The switch you flipped first corresponds to the hot bulb, while the switch you never flipped corresponds to the room-temperature

So, is this the winner?

pdqaltair 10-08-2012 09:07 AM

I'd have bought one by now if it came in 1/4-inch, but it does not from what I can see. How about it?

Sea Diamond 10-08-2012 10:28 AM

I believe this has been answered correctly, but since I am on the hunt for a new anchor for my girl [COLOR="Blue"]Sea Diamond, (Beneteau Oceanis 38), I'll put my name out there for advice on your recommended model. So far, I've had good resuts with a 35lb CQR, but it is now a bit "kinky" after a collision with a huge nav aid that was hiding out behind the jib. Oh well, if only once every 30 years I guess that's OK - best thing though, the crumpling of the anchor totally protected the boat from any damage whatsoever. (Just dumb luck on that one). Oh yeah, the nav aid was one of those HUGE barrels the navy uses for mooring (they call then "Trot Buoys")About 15ft. diameter and 30 ft. long floating on its side and cladded with 4x4 timbers - it too was un harmed.

For the record, I agree with a previous post...
Activate Sw#1 for 5 minutes. Turn it off.
Activate Sw#2 and immediately RUN to the actic.
Lit bulb is Sw#2, Hot bulb is Sw#1 and cold bulb is Sw#.

Hopefully the original poster has already won an anchor, but maybe I will get an opinion on an anchor type for my 38 ft. 17,000 lb. Beneteau. Anchorage is usually mud bottom - I have a Danforth for backup/sandy bottom.

Les

eherlihy 10-08-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svzephyr44 (Post 930700)

What if the bulbs in the attic are fluorescent? About two-thirds to three-quarters less heat is given off by fluorescent lamps compared to an equivalent installation of incandescent lamps. This greatly reduces the size, cost, and energy consumption.

Mantus Anchors 10-08-2012 10:33 AM

TDW won this one!!! Congadulations on the new Mantus Hook
and in just a few minutes....
Stay tuned we will play again but I have to warn you questions will get harder until the finale.....

sailor25b 10-08-2012 10:34 AM

The lightbulb just went on in my head, as I realized that this is "enhanced" advertising on a sailing forum (from a sponsor, so I guess it's ok). Nothing to do with sailing or anchors, but what the heck. Clever, clever!