Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-08-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
where is the water coming from?

Hello: We've had some great winds this fall. And some fast and "well-heeled" sailing. It's been great. One unfortunate side effect, however, is that we're starting to get more water in the bilge.

Here's a few more details. We have a mid 70s Catalina 27'. New to us this year. It's been in the water since May. Very very dry inside. Every time I check, bilge is completely dry. However, after a weekend of pretty "fast" sailing, we get +/- 10 gallons in the center bilge (lowered area by keel bolts). I've tried to watch and see where it comes from, but frankly I've been kinda busy at the helm when things are going fast.

So, wondering if anyone of you Catalina 27 owners (I know there are lots of you lurking about) out there had anything like this going on?

Just to be clear, this water intrusion seems to only happen when sailing (fast & hard). When the boat is just sitting, tied to the dock, it stays completely dry.

any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

thank you in advance.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Re: where is the water coming from?

10 gal is a lot of water. First question - is it salty? Wait, if you are fresh water sailing that question might not help. But, is it coming from your water tank? Otherwise it might be coming from your rudder tube.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 10-08-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road

Yep, can't tell if salty or not - I'm in freshwater. but I'm pretty sure it is water from OUTSIDE of the hull. My drinking water tank is fine. If that were leaking, I'd know it.

Rudder tube . . . hmmm. I did notice the other day that I have quite a bit of "slop" in the rudder. By this, I mean that I can see the rudder head (where the tiller hooks on to it) wiggles side to side quite a bit. In "carpenter terms" it's like a 2" pipe in a 2-1/8" hole. Likely culprit??

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Old 10-08-2012

I am unfamiliar with the tube design on the c27, but it is likely there is a packing gland or a seal of some type below deck. Worth a look.

Gene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-08-2012

Water could be siphoning back through your bilge pump due to a plugged anti siphon valve.

Gene

Old 10-08-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Other possibilities: the boat is collecting water somewhere else and when you heel, it is released into the bilge area; an anti-siphon joint is missing/defective; the hull/deck joint leaks and water is entering when you dip the rail; your propeller shaft/stern tube joint leaks more when the inboard shifts on loose mountings on a tack; there is a loose hose on one of your through-hulls and something heavy exerts sideways pressure against it; your keelbolts allow water in when put under sideways pressure...
Old 10-08-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I would not jump to the conclusion of it being external water. Too bad you are not in a salt water area to taste it. I might just put food coloring in the water tank and holding tank to verify. Just a thought.

-craig
Old 10-08-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

While this likely wouldn't account for that much water, here's a story of ours that's similar, having to do with the dorade vent on the bow...

Just after buying our boat, we where moving it south on a trip that took several days. Just before leaving the first day, I broke one of the holding tank Y valves. I wasn't surprised as we new they needed to be replaced soon. The holding tank is under the vee birth, and it leaked lots of yuck that ran down onto the vee-birth floor. (Luckly not too yucky, mostly water)There's a little lip that keeps it from going straight into the bilge.

After fixing the issue and cleaning up the mess, we sailed for the day through some fairly good chop and wind. That night we noticed the vee-birth floor was full of water again.

Very frustrated, we set out cleaning up the mess and double checking the holding tank plumbing. The odd thing was it didn't stick this time.

After scratching my head for a while, I realized the dorade vent on the bow was facing forward and catching all the spray! It opens into the forepeak, and from there could run down under the vee-birth to the floor.

While it's not likely to be something this simple (rarely is) and 10 gallons is a lot to ship through a dorade I would think, I did notice you have a vent there too, and in the photo, it's pointed forward. Worth a check?
Old 10-08-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Check all your through-hulls. I had one that was leaking but NOT coming into the liner pan. Was squirting through a gap between the inside of the hull and the underside of the liner. To make things tougher to find when I hauled the boat (the first time) the strap was over that thru-hull so we didn't see that it was not tight to the hull.
Old 10-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

1- Rudder post
2- no check valve to bilge pump thru hull which may be below water when heeled
3- water collecting else where and moving together
4- leak in fresh water system
5- stuffing box
6- anchor locker

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner