Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

russbugtussel is on a distinguished road
Re: Pearson Ensign rudder rebuild! Insight needed...

you rock sir!

if you have any shots of the tiller to rudder connection that would help too.

i cant get private messages yet because im a new member so my email is my username at g mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2013

stuart11 is on a distinguished road

Love to see pics of how the rudder turns out.
Old 10-13-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

There's a old article in epoxyworks.com on thinning epoxy. The thrust of the article is that adding solvent is a quick, simple method of thinning epoxy but the strength and moisture resistance of the cured epoxy are drastically affected. The author tested acetone, lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol for thinning and found "lacquer thinner appears to be more appropriate for thinning purposes than acetone or alcohol." The article details the effects each of the thinners has on performance. I think it's worth reading the article if you are considering thinning epoxy.
Old 10-13-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

If you thin the epoxy with acetone the epoxy will be cure to a much darker color.
Old 02-04-2014

Memopad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by russbugtussel View Post
hey think you can post some dimensions on that rudder. i just picked up a electra with no rudder or hardwear. i need to build one from scratch
Ensign Spars can supply the rudder shaft and frame if you'd like to build up the rudder yourself. The only difference between the Ensign and Electra rudders is the shaft length (longer on the Electra). We can also make the entire rudder if you prefer that.

Also most of the other parts on the Electra are shared with the Ensign so we can supply just about any OEM part you need. Spreaders, spreader bases, tiller head, etc. Check out the Ensign Specific section of our online store. Also feel free to email me at bill@ensignspars dot com if you have any questions. We're interested to expand in to supplying anything needed to keep these old Pearsons on the water.
Old 04-16-2014
Marine Surveyor, USCG Lic

WmacG is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old string and you've solved your "problem" in your own way by now, but I write this for the others who will use this string for reference: The truth is: Your rudder looks great and the wood is in the same condition in which the boat was delivered. In other words, there is nothing wrong with it! The wood boards are held together by threaded bronze pins that are brazed to the rudder shaft and those white "spots" are filler that covers the pockets that contain the nuts turned onto these pins. Here's what happens: Out of the water, the wood dries out and shrinks, and you could look right through the spaces between the wood. By spring, when we're doing our bottom work, it looks like hell cosmetically, and we suspect, weakened. We're just not used to seeing bare wood, or movement like this in our other modern materials. We try all manner of techniques to make wood behave like plastic.

But, after 2 or 3 days in the water...the wood swells, closing the gaps. It would look great if we could only see it underwater!

Your solution: Just paint it with bottom paint. Launch your boat and enjoy it.

Let wood be wood...go with it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.