Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Safety & Rescue Thesis
1. Do you use a VHF radio on your vessel?
Yes, sometimes SSB as well
2. What size and type is your vessel?
30-50 feet sloop
3. How far would you normally journey out?
usually coastal, frequently as much as 50 miles offshore. Have done 4 offshore passages.
4. Do you know the 3 main benefits of VHF over mobile Phones?
eherlihy has a good list; I would add
- Wx channels
- often waterproof
- do not need phone numbers
- GMDSS equipped
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)