SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Interior Lighting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92945-interior-lighting.html)

bradway5 10-10-2012 06:46 PM

Interior Lighting

Well getting the Islander up here on friday, and i've been shopping more than i should, but i've very picky, and when i'm not positive what i want it's hard to settle on something. I'm replacing all the interior lighting, i have a couple berth lights, a few domes, courtesy, pretty standard spread i believe. I'm not sure if i want to go to the all brass route, want to hear from those that have all teak interiors what "color" schemes you guys have done and a decent on a budget brand. I've been shopping on Jamestown Dist. mostly. Thanks once again. Once i get her up here and i get my 10 posts i'll post some pics.
Rich

Me and Boo 10-10-2012 07:02 PM

Re: Interior Lighting

No answer for the finish details, one thing is to consider putting in a couple of red lights or white/red lights. Those are very handy.

bigdogandy 10-10-2012 07:16 PM

+1 on what Me and Boo said about putting in combination red / white lights....makes night sailing much easier not having to regain night vision after going below for something.

As for finishes, I have a mostly teak interior in my boat and as I have been replacing all of the old incandescent and flourescent lights with LEDs I have tried to stick with an all chrome look to match the shiny parts of my new New Found Metals TriMatrix portlights.

I love shiny new stuff.

bradway5 10-10-2012 07:24 PM

ever seen any of the blue lights for night? I'm in the CG, and the red lights get old after a few months, i would like to get a different color, and blue seems to be a pretty popular option. And i'm having a hard time finding chrome berth lights and cabin lights...

MarkSF 10-10-2012 07:27 PM

The gold standard seems to be Alpenglow lighting, if your budget covers it. One day, I too will have their overhead lighting in teak, once all the other upgrades on my list are complete....

bradway5 10-10-2012 07:27 PM

and i was looking more of the blue courtesy lighting

chef2sail 10-10-2012 07:50 PM

We have two Alpenglow teak overhead fixture lights in our salon and it has an incredible amount of lumens whilke the power fraw is .2 mamps. The multiprisims cover is part of the reason. These lights have two white settinngs as well as two red settibngs built in. I replaced our overlead floreecent lights completely with these. Also the white wavelenghth is not glary like most LED and has a softer white light like a regular bulb.

Dave

MarkSF 10-10-2012 09:56 PM

Are they the LED or CFL Alpenglows? They make both.

chef2sail 10-11-2012 08:05 AM

Mark,

LED...the power draw is absolutley minimal and they throw off incredible light.

Dave

wingNwing 10-11-2012 08:16 AM

We have mostly wood interior, mostly brass fixtures, all LED except the Alpenglo lamp overhead. The new LEDs have very good warm white color and are quite bright, not at all like the first generation blue-white ones.