SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   slightly soft floor remedies (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/92956-slightly-soft-floor-remedies.html)

floridajaxsailor 10-11-2012 01:01 AM

slightly soft floor remedies

I am sure there has been lots of chat regarding soft floors in 1970s era sailboats, in the 20-35 foot range

I have an old C & C in super shape
the central wood panel that covers the bilge has a slight soft floor
around it, not bowing, just a bit soft
any magic cures?
one idea was to inject some construction filler/adhesive...
or a big no no?

years ago we used this foaming yellow sealant for a rough opening
in new construction, I remember the stuff has to be dealt with care as it
expands, the name escapes me & it came in a can with a tube

anyhow, any thoughts are appreciated

floridajaxsailor 10-11-2012 01:04 AM

Re: slightly soft floor remedies

Foam Sealant from GREAT STUFF | The Home Depot - Model#:162848

Stumble 10-11-2012 03:05 AM

There are a lot of ways to patch it, but none of them are worth the effort. What you have is a section of plywood that has either rotted, or the glue has dissolved.

The right fix is just to replace it. Take the old piece and use it as a template for the new one. You are looking at maybe a few hundred dollars for the plywood, and an afternoon cutting it to shape, and then a few days varnishing. Compare this to any cheap fix, that might last a year or two, and then you are right back where you are now.

chef2sail 10-11-2012 07:49 AM

My winter project is to replace the sole on our C&C 35MKIII. It has about 7 different sections to it. The floor is screwed down on the horizontal stringers and longitudinal ribs.It can be taken up easily. What you find underneath I am sure will take some cleaning as my boat is 30 years old this year. In addition it will give me a chance to clean the limber holes,replace bilge pump hoses, and examine the structural integrity of the stringers also.

Teak and holy 3/4 inch is sold in 5X8 ft sheets in this area for about $ 400 a sheet. I intend on taking up the floor sections and taking them to someone with the appropriate commercial saw to fabricate them using the the sections as templates. We will put some epoxy layers on the bottoms of the boards before they go down.

Dave

jsaronson 10-11-2012 08:08 AM

Exotc Lumber sells 4 x8 shheets for 275.

misfits 10-11-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 932037)
My winter project is to replace the sole on our C&C 35MKIII.

Hard telling what's living under there. Once you pull the floor the stringer renovation will be on :)

You might consider putting down some 1/2" marine plywood coated with resin & using a 1/4" teak holly sole, could be cheaper.

Gary M 10-11-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaronson (Post 932046)
Exotc Lumber sells 4 x8 shheets for 275.

Wish I had seen this last week, drove back from the Annapolis Boat Show in my van. could have brought a sheet back. Anyone know of a supplier closer to say Detroit?

Gary

chef2sail 10-11-2012 09:18 AM

Joel.

I have been to Exotic Limber looking,,,neat place. I took by Bildge insert there it matched up with the T&H that was 400 maybe I should go back an remeasure $275 sounds better

Dave

jsaronson 10-11-2012 09:22 AM

Unless 5 x 8 lets you get by with one sheet! Thinking about stripping my cabin sole this winter, but I'll probably find something else to do with my time.

floridajaxsailor 10-11-2012 09:41 AM

Dave,
what a wonderful reply w data
how I wish I could take this old lady out to complete the project correctly
am jealous
the New England Carpenter I worked with years ago always had that approach to start with the foundation clean & dry
how were you going to get below the fiberglass skin that covers the flooring? cut it all out? wow what a project...
the stringers are hopefully overall intact, is there any thoughts on the foam, I am supposing it is a wasted remedy as my floor is not overall soft, Amen

take care