Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Re: Foul Weather Gear

Strongly consider "coastal" or "in-shore" foul weather gear, which is cheaper and more versatile than "off-shore" gear. Combined with a polypro base layer and a watch cap and a pile layer you should be comfortable over a wide range of conditions. Avoid foul weather gear that has so much velcro that you'll find your arms sticking to your torso or open "hand warmer" pockets that snag your tiller or winch handle. Your jacket should have a zippered, inside, chest pocket; flaps over the zippers, and a hood that fits you.

Bibs aren't as critical but wide suspender straps with delrin clips that you can open with gloved hands are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
The best foul weather gear is a full enclosure, and lines led aft. A small propane heater (1500 BTU on a 2 pound bulb) and a waterproof wind breaker is all it takes.
Strongly disagree, The best option it to sail South till you don't need shoes.

Gene
Glory Be likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 10-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Gil Spinakker

FWG is what my wife and I have and are on the Chessie also. They are comfortable. Can be used in all seasons, even in the summer. The hood, head jacket all fit well and do not rub. Accomadations for easily going to the bathroom on ladies model ( importatnt in small heads so you dont have to remove the whole bib). Great waterproofed materieal with articulated elbows and knees. Very breathable.

When you buy dont get tight so you can layer underneath

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
Strongly disagree, The best option it to sail South till you don't need shoes.

Gene
I grew up in West Virginia - what are shoes?
Old 10-12-2012

Gene T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I grew up in West Virginia - what are shoes?
Horses wear them

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 10-12-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

There are two key things to consider and several secondary things. High tech and low tech solutions are available.

To stay happy, you need to remain warm and dry. Use layered clothing to obtain warmth. The colder it is, the more layers you'll need. Just my preference - cotton or silk layer on the skin, followed with cotton or cotton/synthetic blend shirt/pants, followed by wool or synthethtic light fleece or sweater, followed by coat liner, with a water-resistant top layer (coat). If really cold, you can double up some or all layers. Same layered approach to feet torso and legs. To stay as dry as possible, you'll need to both repel water (rain/spray) and wick your perspiration away from your skin. Having that wool or hi-tech synthetic layer will help retain heat even when that layer gets wet. On the outer coat, take care that the openings for your hands and head don't allow too much water to get in and that the zippers, pocketss, etc. don't let the water sneak in. The top layer needs to be baggy enough to cover all these layers. Keep all the layers loose except perhaps the layer on your skin.

Warm and dry are essential. Other things to consider:

-- Does the outer coat's hood keep water out and allow you good visability? Some hoods are useless or block your field of view too much.
-- Can you access pockets, adjusting straps, zippers, etc. without compromising the whole set up? Outer gear with exterior as well as interior pockets work well.
-- Can you get out of the gear to use the head, change a t-shirt, etc, fairly quickly?
-- Is the gear dual use? I don't want hot weather gear and cold weather gear. Rather have rain gear that works in warm weather that I can layer underneath for cold weather service.

We've spent our money on good qualit, lighter outer layer components - top coat, bibs, good boots and we use Goodwill items to make up all the rest of the layers.

Warm and dry

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 10-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I bought these new for less than $90.00:

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...4/product.html

They rock.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Second Reply

As I and others have said - WM stuff is perfectly adequate for your needs if you're mainly coastal stuff. Even their Off-Shore/Ocean Stuff is decent for the price. I have a set of their Third Reef Jacket and bib and mostly wear that when the need arises.

While REI/Cabela's, EMS make nice waterproof stuff, think twice about using it as extended/primary FWB. Typically theses garmets are made with lighter weight cloths, which can more easily catch and rip on cleats, shackles, cotter pins, etc., than "boat" stuff. Also a foulie good jacket has cuff seals that minimizes water running down your arm from your hand. Most camping/hiking waterproof jackets don't. Camping/hiking jackets are also usually cut shorter in length torso, than boat foulies. So when you have to bend over, if the camping jacket isn't long enough, you could get water on/down your back if not wearing bibs or bibs high enough. Not all camping waterproof jackets are short, but some are. Not saying that camping/hiking waterproof stuff isn't okay for use on the boat, but it will be more prone to ripping/damage than the typically more durable boat stuff. That being said, I use it all the time for light duty day sails in spitting rain, but heavier rain, I bring out the boat stuff.
Old 10-12-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Agree with layering

Polypropylene first layer
Fleece second layer - if needed. I also wear quick drying hiking pants as a second layer when I do not need the warmth.
Good quality foulies - HH offshore bib pants and Gill Atlantic jacket. I invested more in pants as a like a dry bum. I wear the pants more than I wear the jacket.

If it is warm I wear sandals (with enclosed toes) instead of shoes or boots. I treated myself to DuBarry Ultimas this year for warmth. I hate wet socks which is why I am gave up on shoes for wet conditions; I still wear shoes for coastal sailing.

For gloves: warm conditions sailing gloves. For cold and wet I wear cheap rubber work gloves for which I have two sets of HH inserts, one to wear while one dries out.

Two of my crew back from Maui had Musto's which they really liked.

Caring for your foulies is important. If you have to re-waterproof there are some good products out there. I use Grainger's for washing and spray.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 10-12-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Yes, I second the "overstocked.comfoulweather gear" for under
$90. ...great value.
I bought a set last year as a 3rd set, to keep on board for crew,
and was impressed. We sail in winter here in N.Y. with my Gil coastal and would not hesitate to use this set.
There is a whole thread on this set from last year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.