Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Foul Weather Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dunno, Smack. Would love to hear your thoughts on those after a year, including real storm force conditions, not just rains.
I'll let you know. Regardless - dude, they were $90. I mean c'mon.

As DPM says above - in true "storm force" conditions, you're gonna be wet no matter what you paid for your taped seams.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Just then a big wave would wash over the boat hit your chin and fill up your shorts."
Aye, laddie. And this is why every Scotsman who goes to sea, even if he keeps below with the armth of the boilers, packs his FOUL WEATHER KILT in his seabag.

The water goes in, the water goes out. Every Scotsman knows that. (VBG)
Gene T likes this.
Old 10-14-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyes View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Stu I was looking at the third reef gear, It is reassuring to know that you are happy with it. I have been reading reviews on gear all summer, from what i have read every brand has its share of mixed reviews. I guess it is time to make a decision before I get caught with none. Maybe I will write my own review after I try it out on the water.
-Alan
I like my Third Reef stuff well enough. Breathable foul weather gear is, IMO, a kinda dicey proposition from the outset. It looses its waterproofness pretty quick. I like my bibs a lot more than some of the prior comments. I have been thinking of carrying a set of old fashioned carhart gear too --when it is really really wet that rubbery stuff is unbeatable.

Don't forget boots!!!
Old 10-15-2012

SeekerSkip is on a distinguished road

For what its worth -- A friend who is a salmon fisherman out of Kenai Alaska uses commercial fishing clothing. He is a lot more active hauling in the fish than most of us will ever be on a sailboat, and is out in all kinds of weather. Some of the foul weather gear made for commercial fishing that I've seen, both in San Diego and in Bellingham, appear to be as well or better made than foul weather gear made for recreational sailors, and is a lot less expensive.
jrd22 and jimjazzdad like this.
Old 10-15-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road

I remember that the dinghy sailors had completely different gear than you would see on a cruiser/racer. We wore "sailor john" suspender style light weight wetsuit with a neoprene collared jacket to keep the water from running down your neck.

If it was warm, we would just wear the jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I did a return trip from Bermuda to Ct a couple of years ago. We were taking a lot of spray and some green water, no dodger as it is a race boat.
There were seven of us with everyone wearing something different.
There was one guy wearing the best of the best of everything. It didn't seem to matter much in those particular conditions.
If you buttoned up enough to keep dry you would sweat.
We all would open our collar a bit to get a little air. Just then a big wave would wash over the boat hit your chin and fill up your shorts.
By the time is started to dry out a little it would happen again.
We were sitting in an inch or two of water a good portion of the time. Nobody was dry. Some outfits cost thousands some a couple hundred. We were all wet and miserable all the time.
Old 10-15-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

my gears the best lol. i just use mixed matched rain pants and jackets with a lot of clothing under neath them. in the summer i got a unisulated rain jacket and in the winter i got a insulated. also i got ponchos if i need to have more rain gear.
Old 10-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

small, if I saw someone on deck with a poncho I'd send 'em ashore.

A poncho is the classic definition of "loose clothing" which IS going to rapidly get fouled in the sheets, wrapped in the winches, and either get torn off or cause a bigger problem in short order. Doesn't belong on a person on a sailboat under way.
Old 10-15-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

i haven't used a poncho on deck yet there mostly for other people that come aboard and if it starts raining they can use a poncho if theyd like. for me tho i have rain gear thats mix macheted but works great.
Old 10-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

The 3rd reef WM stuff isn't bad, but it does lose it's DWR finish pretty quick. Not bad for $200 though.

The PVC fishermans stuff works great... for fisherman who are constantly moving. They layer a lot less than sailors do b/c they have their body heat to keep them warm. Sailors will sit for hours not moving, then sprint for 15 minutes and continue sitting. You need to layer for the lulls, or just deal w/ being a little cold. Fisherman also use the PVC stuff b/c it's extremely durable. Hooks, knives, crab pots, would tear up a set of "yachtie" foulies. However, yachtie stuff has a lot of nice features that the PVC stuff doesn't. Wrist and neck seals, high vis hood, reflectors, etc. The PVC stuff most of the time is lined with cotten, which, when wet, freezes you're nuts off and then refuses to dry in 48 hours.

If you're on a boat getting hosed, your system needs to be improved. 2 years ago I also delivered a 40' race boat back to the states after the Newport to BDA race. It rained buckets for 10 hours straight, then lighened up for the next 2 hours. Most rain I've ever seen fall in a 10 hour period. I was completely dry in my HL offshore kit. Since then I've bought some light stuff for the summer time and a spray top for the all important neck seal.

The average sailor (inshore, day sails, occasional overnight) Doesn't need to spend more than $300 on the set. Lots of cheap options out there.

My 'heavy' kit is an older verison of these:
Henri Lloyd Ocean Explorer Jacket (Gore-Tex) - Red at Mauri Pro Sailing
Henri Lloyd Ocean Explorer Hi Fits (Gore-Tex) - Carbon at Mauri Pro Sailing
Old 10-16-2012

mbsl98 is on a distinguished road

As mentioned earlier, Practical Sailor did an extensive test of mid-range (under $500 in 2008) gear plus a couple of other tests such as one just for ladies gear. They like Gill OS2 (then called Gill Key West I think) as the top choice in every test, and ranked West at bottom consistently. Timing is very good if you are buying right now. Gill has ended the OS2 line, and the stock is being heavily discounted. I just bought a set from Landfall Navigation in CT. for about $320 (great service by the way). It is mid-level gear, between light coastal gear and the real all-out offshore gear. First impressions are very high, even though I am stepping down from my full offshore Musto kit. The Musto gear is nearing 30 years old and still perfect except for loosing its waterproof finish, so a tough act to follow, but this Gill stuff is really nice, also has a much softer fabric feel/finish (they make great claims about their unique fabrics). In any case, you can get some really good deals on theOS2 until its gone - right around the price for the coastal sets. As noted above also, the sizes vary a lot by maker. Gill seems to run somewhat large, and I had to send back the pants for a smaller size since I did it on line and didn't go to a store to try fit first. Their pants run very long leg lengths in particular.