SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Foul Weather Gear

10K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 ·
Looking to buy my first set of foul weather gear. So many choices and so expensive. Willing to spend the money to get a good set. What do you recommend? 32' Bristol Mostly weekend/overnight trips with 2-3 week long trips per season in the Chesapeake Bay/ Potomac River. We don't have a Bimini yet(winter project I hope) so it gets old real quick be cold and soggy at the helm. (no auto pilot yet either)
-Alan

#37 ·
small, if I saw someone on deck with a poncho I'd send 'em ashore.

A poncho is the classic definition of "loose clothing" which IS going to rapidly get fouled in the sheets, wrapped in the winches, and either get torn off or cause a bigger problem in short order. Doesn't belong on a person on a sailboat under way.

#39 ·
The 3rd reef WM stuff isn't bad, but it does lose it's DWR finish pretty quick. Not bad for $200 though.

The PVC fishermans stuff works great... for fisherman who are constantly moving. They layer a lot less than sailors do b/c they have their body heat to keep them warm. Sailors will sit for hours not moving, then sprint for 15 minutes and continue sitting. You need to layer for the lulls, or just deal w/ being a little cold. Fisherman also use the PVC stuff b/c it's extremely durable. Hooks, knives, crab pots, would tear up a set of "yachtie" foulies. However, yachtie stuff has a lot of nice features that the PVC stuff doesn't. Wrist and neck seals, high vis hood, reflectors, etc. The PVC stuff most of the time is lined with cotten, which, when wet, freezes you're nuts off and then refuses to dry in 48 hours.

If you're on a boat getting hosed, your system needs to be improved. 2 years ago I also delivered a 40' race boat back to the states after the Newport to BDA race. It rained buckets for 10 hours straight, then lighened up for the next 2 hours. Most rain I've ever seen fall in a 10 hour period. I was completely dry in my HL offshore kit. Since then I've bought some light stuff for the summer time and a spray top for the all important neck seal.

The average sailor (inshore, day sails, occasional overnight) Doesn't need to spend more than $300 on the set. Lots of cheap options out there.

My 'heavy' kit is an older verison of these:
Henri Lloyd Ocean Explorer Jacket (Gore-Tex) - Red at Mauri Pro Sailing
Henri Lloyd Ocean Explorer Hi Fits (Gore-Tex) - Carbon at Mauri Pro Sailing

#40 ·
As mentioned earlier, Practical Sailor did an extensive test of mid-range (under $500 in 2008) gear plus a couple of other tests such as one just for ladies gear. They like Gill OS2 (then called Gill Key West I think) as the top choice in every test, and ranked West at bottom consistently. Timing is very good if you are buying right now. Gill has ended the OS2 line, and the stock is being heavily discounted. I just bought a set from Landfall Navigation in CT. for about $320 (great service by the way). It is mid-level gear, between light coastal gear and the real all-out offshore gear. First impressions are very high, even though I am stepping down from my full offshore Musto kit. The Musto gear is nearing 30 years old and still perfect except for loosing its waterproof finish, so a tough act to follow, but this Gill stuff is really nice, also has a much softer fabric feel/finish (they make great claims about their unique fabrics). In any case, you can get some really good deals on theOS2 until its gone - right around the price for the coastal sets. As noted above also, the sizes vary a lot by maker. Gill seems to run somewhat large, and I had to send back the pants for a smaller size since I did it on line and didn't go to a store to try fit first. Their pants run very long leg lengths in particular.

#41 ·
Normally I am a big fan of Gill products. Primarily because it just seems to fit me better than other brands. But the other day I found an Atlantis Aegis jacket at Marshall's for under a $100. I didn't really need it, but decided to buy it anyway. I don't know if they are at all Marshall's or they just happened to have one, but I am very happy with it.

#42 ·
I picked up a pair of Atlantis Aegis bibs, and an Atlantis rain jacket from the closeout bin at Defender or Hamilton Marine, can't remember, well under $100 each. I also got a revere float coat for under $100.00 on close out. Its all nice to have stuff, I am mostly a day sailor, and a sunshine sailor, so I can't have a hard time justifying really expensive foulies. Worth looking around anyway.
lou

#44 ·
There are definitely two schools of thought when it comes to foul weather gear. I think breathables are fine if you buy good ones ($$$) and maintain them. There are a lot more people at sea wearing PVC rain gear - fishermen, rig workers, commercial mariners - than there are yachties in their Gill or Henri Lloyd suits and Dubarry boots. I try to buy most of my gear the same as the commercial fishermen do. Cheaper and sturdier.

#45 ·
Fisherman have to wash fish guts off their foulies, rig workers just get covered in mud (I worked in the oil patch when I was younger). I have to deal with neither. I also like breathable boots as I develop foot problems in rubber boots. My feet also stay drier and warmer in breathable boots.

On the other hand I do wear rubber work gloves with liners to keep my hands warm and dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.