SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Foul Weather Gear

10K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  jackdale 
#1 ·
Looking to buy my first set of foul weather gear. So many choices and so expensive. Willing to spend the money to get a good set. What do you recommend? 32' Bristol Mostly weekend/overnight trips with 2-3 week long trips per season in the Chesapeake Bay/ Potomac River. We don't have a Bimini yet(winter project I hope) so it gets old real quick be cold and soggy at the helm. (no auto pilot yet either)
-Alan

#2 · (Edited)
Lots of threrads on this....

so do a search and you'll find plenty of ideas and info.

My two cents:

If you plan to do a lot of foul weather sailing, invest in the best stuff that you can. If you have to sacrifice $ somewhere, sacrifice on the pants, not the jacket. Also, ask your self if you are primarily going to be doing it in warmer weather or cooler weather (colder water)

The most waterproof stuff that they make is coated rubber/PVC, like Grunden's. However, it doesn't breath well and you can get clammy/cold in them if you over exert yourself and don't properly layer. They are the cheapest option though.

The other $$$ extreme is a gore-tex/cordura material that supposedly breathes and is almost 100% waterproof. However, to be effective the DWR (dry water repellency) needs to be maintained, else the cloth becomes saturated and then doesn't breathe. Rain water doesn't get in due the gore-tex membrane, but your perspiration doesn't leave and you can get wet from your own sweat. Any material labelled breathable will have this as an issue, not just gore-tex.

All the companies make decent stuff at some level. No need to get $1100 Musto, Gil, HH, stuff if you're mostly doing day sails/coastal stuff port-to-port. However, if you are going off shore for several nights, remember there is no port to pull in and dry off, so better over dressed than under.

FWIW - I have three set of Foulies: One $1200 HL jacket/bibs that was given to me by a guy getting out of sailing. A couple of WM and Gil coastal jackets and bibs, and some very light EMS/REI wind breakers and pants. I mostly use the coastal stuff as warmer wind block and rain jacket in cool weather. I only once used my HL $1200 stuff and that was during a 8h 42 deg F pouring rain delivery in early May. Even with that stuff, by the end I was getting chilled. We normally don't sail in foul weather, but the few times we have it has been only for 5 h max.

#3 ·
Breathable!!!

I have noticed how I use my fowl weather gear. I have a West Marine Explorer set that I like a lot. I also have a lighter duty (cheaper) jacket with hood.

Cold offshore trips - bib and jacket with all the fleece and poly-pro or wool I have underneath.

Day trips with no rain but cold and spray - jacket with fleece underneath

Cool with no spray - light duty jacket with fleece under.

A good set of breathable gear is a must. It needs to be comfortable too. But having a lighter duty jacket is a must for comfort as it moves with you better. I can't remember the brand but it is designed as a foul weather jacket.

Really need to try them on, make sure you have plenty of room under for a fleece jacket.

A final note: My WM set is 10 years old, I can remember every time I put on the bibs. You won't use them much, nice to have but expensive for the amount of use.

Gene

#4 ·
One of the sailing magazines did an article on foul weather gear where they interviewed experienced offshore sailors about what they wear and why. Half wore the expensive kind (Gill, HH, etc.) and half wore inexpensive LL Bean gear or the like. All were happy with their choices.

#5 ·
Donna's right, there are sources beyond marine stores and their prices. Since there are so many choices out there, anything we say (which usually ends up like Donna said - what i have is the "best":)) is not going to help you. For instance, the past 35 years I've been very pleased with my WM Third Reef gear. And that's for the type of sailing you described. Others may think I'm crazy (been confirmed, too:)) but it works for me.

Your boat, your pocketbook, your choice.

Good luck

#6 ·
Alan, you MUST TRY THEM ON. Really.

You'll find that the fit of a good collar, which cuts the wind and keeps your neck and cheeks warm and dry, is a very personal thing. Ditto for a hood, big enough to keep the rain off but leave you side vision, and work with that collar. The rest of a jacket, the way the arms and wrists fit and seal or not, is less crucial but oh, the collar fit alone can sell you on a particular coat. The little features count, on the pants or bibs too. A crotch zipper that pulls UP instead of down, or a chest pocket big enough for whatever you want to keep dry, these things all have to be checked out in person.

I'm split between an ancient pare of Henry Lloyd that are not breathable (big demerit) and newer genuine GoreTex (which they will replace for free when, not if but when, it does leak) which is really just "camping" gear, but oh so much nicer in hot humid weather. If you're doing it for the first time, go for breathable with a guarantee, because it all gets porous sooner of later (5+ years) and the guarantee makes the replacement free.

Of course there's the reality of budget. I was lucky with my HL gear, got it 50% off because it was end of year and the styles were changing. But if you've ever been soaking wet, cold and miserable and stuck out on the boat, you'll come to appreciate why you want the best possible fit and performance, and if you need to rob a 7-11 to pay for it, just do it.

#7 ·
I have a really nice HH jacket that I layer with wicking shirt, sweat shirt, and an over size flannel. Have the bibs but find them too hateful to be of use..I have a really nice pair of Dubarry boots and they are worth their weight in gold. Levis work for me, and usually shorts/cutoffs unless it is brutally cold...

not a fashion plate by any stretch, but dry and warm. My slipmate went with rubber galoshes from southern states and the $10 yellow slicker set from Tractor supply and swears by them...

I also have a couple of ratty sweatshirts that do the majority of the work, but that just points out that comfort is the key....with what ever you choose.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Stu I was looking at the third reef gear, It is reassuring to know that you are happy with it. I have been reading reviews on gear all summer, from what i have read every brand has its share of mixed reviews. I guess it is time to make a decision before I get caught with none. Maybe I will write my own review after I try it out on the water.
-Alan

#33 ·
I like my Third Reef stuff well enough. Breathable foul weather gear is, IMO, a kinda dicey proposition from the outset. It looses its waterproofness pretty quick. I like my bibs a lot more than some of the prior comments. I have been thinking of carrying a set of old fashioned carhart gear too --when it is really really wet that rubbery stuff is unbeatable.

Don't forget boots!!!

#10 ·
I've found that 1 set of foulies isn't enough. I like a light set for warmer weather and a heavier set for cool weather. Prefer breathable in both. The WM stuff is fine for me- much cheaper than genuine GoreTex. Regular waist high pants for warm weather, bibs for cool/cold weather or if it's really wet. A good set of bibs will let you get away with a lighter jacket. As hellosailor said- a pull up or 2-way zipper is a must with bibs- otherwise you're taking the coat off every time you need to pee.
I also prefer a souwester to a hood unless it's really cold- it doesn't block your vision every time you turn your head.
A stocking cap and waterproof gloves and boots, too.
Nothing is more miserable than being wet, cold, and far from the end of your voyage.

#11 ·
Strongly consider "coastal" or "in-shore" foul weather gear, which is cheaper and more versatile than "off-shore" gear. Combined with a polypro base layer and a watch cap and a pile layer you should be comfortable over a wide range of conditions. Avoid foul weather gear that has so much velcro that you'll find your arms sticking to your torso or open "hand warmer" pockets that snag your tiller or winch handle. Your jacket should have a zippered, inside, chest pocket; flaps over the zippers, and a hood that fits you.

Bibs aren't as critical but wide suspender straps with delrin clips that you can open with gloved hands are nice.

#13 ·
Gil Spinakker

FWG is what my wife and I have and are on the Chessie also. They are comfortable. Can be used in all seasons, even in the summer. The hood, head jacket all fit well and do not rub. Accomadations for easily going to the bathroom on ladies model ( importatnt in small heads so you dont have to remove the whole bib). Great waterproofed materieal with articulated elbows and knees. Very breathable.

When you buy dont get tight so you can layer underneath

Dave

#16 ·
There are two key things to consider and several secondary things. High tech and low tech solutions are available.

To stay happy, you need to remain warm and dry. Use layered clothing to obtain warmth. The colder it is, the more layers you'll need. Just my preference - cotton or silk layer on the skin, followed with cotton or cotton/synthetic blend shirt/pants, followed by wool or synthethtic light fleece or sweater, followed by coat liner, with a water-resistant top layer (coat). If really cold, you can double up some or all layers. Same layered approach to feet torso and legs. To stay as dry as possible, you'll need to both repel water (rain/spray) and wick your perspiration away from your skin. Having that wool or hi-tech synthetic layer will help retain heat even when that layer gets wet. On the outer coat, take care that the openings for your hands and head don't allow too much water to get in and that the zippers, pocketss, etc. don't let the water sneak in. The top layer needs to be baggy enough to cover all these layers. Keep all the layers loose except perhaps the layer on your skin.

Warm and dry are essential. Other things to consider:

-- Does the outer coat's hood keep water out and allow you good visability? Some hoods are useless or block your field of view too much.
-- Can you access pockets, adjusting straps, zippers, etc. without compromising the whole set up? Outer gear with exterior as well as interior pockets work well.
-- Can you get out of the gear to use the head, change a t-shirt, etc, fairly quickly?
-- Is the gear dual use? I don't want hot weather gear and cold weather gear. Rather have rain gear that works in warm weather that I can layer underneath for cold weather service.

We've spent our money on good qualit, lighter outer layer components - top coat, bibs, good boots and we use Goodwill items to make up all the rest of the layers.

Warm and dry

#18 ·
Second Reply

As I and others have said - WM stuff is perfectly adequate for your needs if you're mainly coastal stuff. Even their Off-Shore/Ocean Stuff is decent for the price. I have a set of their Third Reef Jacket and bib and mostly wear that when the need arises.

While REI/Cabela's, EMS make nice waterproof stuff, think twice about using it as extended/primary FWB. Typically theses garmets are made with lighter weight cloths, which can more easily catch and rip on cleats, shackles, cotter pins, etc., than "boat" stuff. Also a foulie good jacket has cuff seals that minimizes water running down your arm from your hand. Most camping/hiking waterproof jackets don't. Camping/hiking jackets are also usually cut shorter in length torso, than boat foulies. So when you have to bend over, if the camping jacket isn't long enough, you could get water on/down your back if not wearing bibs or bibs high enough. Not all camping waterproof jackets are short, but some are. Not saying that camping/hiking waterproof stuff isn't okay for use on the boat, but it will be more prone to ripping/damage than the typically more durable boat stuff. That being said, I use it all the time for light duty day sails in spitting rain, but heavier rain, I bring out the boat stuff.

#19 · (Edited)
Agree with layering

Polypropylene first layer
Fleece second layer - if needed. I also wear quick drying hiking pants as a second layer when I do not need the warmth.
Good quality foulies - HH offshore bib pants and Gill Atlantic jacket. I invested more in pants as a like a dry bum. I wear the pants more than I wear the jacket.

If it is warm I wear sandals (with enclosed toes) instead of shoes or boots. I treated myself to DuBarry Ultimas this year for warmth. I hate wet socks which is why I am gave up on shoes for wet conditions; I still wear shoes for coastal sailing.

For gloves: warm conditions sailing gloves. For cold and wet I wear cheap rubber work gloves for which I have two sets of HH inserts, one to wear while one dries out.

Two of my crew back from Maui had Musto's which they really liked.

Caring for your foulies is important. If you have to re-waterproof there are some good products out there. I use Grainger's for washing and spray.

#20 ·
Yes, I second the "overstocked.comfoulweather gear" for under
$90. ...great value.
I bought a set last year as a 3rd set, to keep on board for crew,
and was impressed. We sail in winter here in N.Y. with my Gil coastal and would not hesitate to use this set.
There is a whole thread on this set from last year.

#22 ·
BTW - you really do want foulies that breathe. We wear foulies for the whole trip Maui to Vancouver - wet race boat. Salt water soaking clothes do not dry well.

#24 · (Edited)
Has anyone mentioned that Practical Sailor reviewed mid-range foul weather gear from a half dozen or so companies a few years ago? I found it helpful in that it not only made specific recommendations (they liked Gill OS2), but it also told you what to look for when you evaluate the stuff in a store. They've done other reviews of individual brands' high-end gear, too, if I recall correctly.
Another thing--everything I've ever seen in print on the subject says that a visible color is important, so your wife can find you if you fall overboard because you're distracted by all the little sticky velcro tabs while you're relieving yourself over the side. So red, yellow or chartreuse. Not black or white.

#25 ·
so your wife can find you if you fall overboard because you're distracted by all the little sticky velcro tabs while you're relieving yourself over the side.
85% of men who go overboard have their flies open. :eek:

#28 ·
I did a return trip from Bermuda to Ct a couple of years ago. We were taking a lot of spray and some green water, no dodger as it is a race boat.
There were seven of us with everyone wearing something different.
There was one guy wearing the best of the best of everything. It didn't seem to matter much in those particular conditions.
If you buttoned up enough to keep dry you would sweat.
We all would open our collar a bit to get a little air. Just then a big wave would wash over the boat hit your chin and fill up your shorts.
By the time is started to dry out a little it would happen again.
We were sitting in an inch or two of water a good portion of the time. Nobody was dry. Some outfits cost thousands some a couple hundred. We were all wet and miserable all the time.

Reactions: IslanderGuy
#35 ·
I remember that the dinghy sailors had completely different gear than you would see on a cruiser/racer. We wore "sailor john" suspender style light weight wetsuit with a neoprene collared jacket to keep the water from running down your neck.

If it was warm, we would just wear the jacket.

#29 ·
I can vouch for the WestMarine offshore and coastal stuff...Its waterproof, warm and layers well. I have the pants (not bib) and the jacket, along with foul weather boots. Coming back from Catalina earlier this year it was sunny, but BIG winds and plenty of splash including a wave that broke directly over the boat drenching us from head to toe. I actually laughed because I was completely dry and comfortable.

#30 ·
My "foul weather gear" for the tropics is a shorty wetsuit. I have one that's not too tight so I can don it and take it off at the companionway easily. I don't mind getting wet in the warm tropical rain and the wetsuit keeps me warm by keeping the wind off my skin. Also, it works wet or dry. My first line of defense against the elements, though, is a hard dodger so I can sit in the cockpit out of the wind and rain.

#32 ·
"Just then a big wave would wash over the boat hit your chin and fill up your shorts."
Aye, laddie. And this is why every Scotsman who goes to sea, even if he keeps below with the armth of the boilers, packs his FOUL WEATHER KILT in his seabag.

The water goes in, the water goes out. Every Scotsman knows that. (VBG)

#34 ·
For what its worth -- A friend who is a salmon fisherman out of Kenai Alaska uses commercial fishing clothing. He is a lot more active hauling in the fish than most of us will ever be on a sailboat, and is out in all kinds of weather. Some of the foul weather gear made for commercial fishing that I've seen, both in San Diego and in Bellingham, appear to be as well or better made than foul weather gear made for recreational sailors, and is a lot less expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.