Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Beware the Pins in Your Mainsheet Blocks!

Yesterday we went for a sail and had a bright sunny day in the low 80's with north easterly winds in the 18 to 20 knot range. While hard sheeted on a very tight reach toward the Skyway Bridge, our main sheet suddenly slackened leaving the sail luffing violently. Inspection revealed that the pin through the becket that secures the dead end of our sheet to the double fiddle block on our main sheet traveler had disappeared, releasing the sheet and allowing it to run out, over the block at the boom and back down to the upper sheave in the fiddle block. (Fortunately, the eye-splice on the dead end of the sheet was a bit too large to be pulled entirely through the block, but the sheet did jamb there quite firmly.) Climbing on deck--our main sheet traveler is amidships forward of our dodger-- after my wife headed up, low and behold I discovered the pin from the becket laying on the deck in front of the traveler sans cotter pin. Fortunately we have a box of odds'n ends at the nav table and I was able to find a properly sized cotter ring that allowed me to secure the pin once I had extracted the sheet end and re-led it through the block on the underside of the boom. With this we resumed our sail and finally headed for home.

Today I will clean and reset all of the blocks on the boom and elsewhere aboard and pay particular attention to the cotter pins holding things together which one tends to forget--until they disappear of course. I thought other might appreciate a "heads up".

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: Beware the Pins in Your Mainsheet Blocks!

A timely reminder that its always worthwhile to inspect our fittings, etc., when time permits in order to avoid the WTF! experiences.
RobGallagher and rugosa like this.
Old 10-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Yesterday we went for a sail and had a bright sunny day in the low 80's with north easterly winds in the 18 to 20 knot range. While hard sheeted on a very tight reach toward the Skyway Bridge, our main sheet suddenly slackened leaving the sail luffing violently. Inspection revealed that the pin through the becket that secures the dead end of our sheet to the double fiddle block on our main sheet traveler had disappeared, releasing the sheet and allowing it to run out, over the block at the boom and back down to the upper sheave in the fiddle block. (Fortunately, the eye-splice on the dead end of the sheet was a bit too large to be pulled entirely through the block, but the sheet did jamb there quite firmly.) Climbing on deck--our main sheet traveler is amidships forward of our dodger-- after my wife headed up, low and behold I discovered the pin from the becket laying on the deck in front of the traveler sans cotter pin. Fortunately we have a box of odds'n ends at the nav table and I was able to find a properly sized cotter ring that allowed me to secure the pin once I had extracted the sheet end and re-led it through the block on the underside of the boom. With this we resumed our sail and finally headed for home.

Today I will clean and reset all of the blocks on the boom and elsewhere aboard and pay particular attention to the cotter pins holding things together which one tends to forget--until they disappear of course. I thought other might appreciate a "heads up". FWIW...
The nautical equivalent of "For want of a nail....."
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-17-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I build all my own blocks for less than $2 each, with 3/8ths bolts for pins, far better blocks than any commercially made ones.
Old 10-17-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Follow Up...

I contacted Garhaurer regarding the failure/loss of the cotter-ring that led to the loss of the pin and thimble on the becket of our Series 40-02 AS fiddle block and "Guido", in manufacturing, could not have been more apologetic. The Company is sending the necessary replacement parts to us, via UPS, without charge.

Note that I have known the Felgenhaurer's--Bob, Mary and their son Mark, the owners of Garhaurer--for 20+ years (although Guido was unaware of that when we spoke) and I do not know of a marine equipment manufacturer that offers anywhere near the quality of Garhaurer's equipment at anywhere near the price. I could not obtain the parts needed to build a comparable double fiddle block for anywhere near the price they charge for the complete unit. Some complain that Garhaurer's equipment is too "industrial" looking compared to Harken, Schafer and/or some of the other manufacturers. In fact, however, Garhaurer observes a "Form follows function" mentality and incorporates ease of manufacturing/repair into the design of its components. Accordingly, they "work" and when there is a malfunction--which is rare--they are pretty easily repaired. Considering how we've beaten up their gear over the years with few difficulties, I am happy to recommend the Company to others.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I build all my own blocks for less than $2 each, with 3/8ths bolts for pins, far better blocks than any commercially made ones.
could you post pics of the blocks you make im very intrested in how you make them and would like to see what they look like.
SloopJonB and srqsailor like this.
Old 10-17-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Follow Up...

Quote:
Garhaurer observes a "Form follows function" mentality and incorporates ease of manufacturing/repair into the design of its components. Accordingly, they "work" and when there is a malfunction--which is rare--they are pretty easily repaired. Considering how we've beaten up their gear over the years with few difficulties, I am happy to recommend the Company to others.

FWIW...
I second your recommendation. I've been very happy with the quality and value of Garhauer stuff.
Old 10-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Follow Up...

Quote:
Some complain that Garhaurer's equipment is too "industrial" looking compared to Harken, Schafer and/or some of the other manufacturers.
I've always thought Harken gear looked kind of cheap, even toylike myself. I'll take the industrial strength look anytime.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-19-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

For the loss of a pin. I was 30 miles off Oregon in 15 ft following seas,and 25 to 30 knots .Standing on the windshield roof of a Mapleleaf 42. Boom in my belly furling the mainsail. Pin holding mainsheet block to aft cabin roof fell out and I went out to slam into the port shrouds On the next yaw I stepped gracefully onto the deck and retrieved the pin.Later on ,after turning about in the surf and exploring Blunt's reef in the fog I realized I was gaining priceless experience. As an aside I made the blocks for Thanes rig My record was 9 singles in one night. 2 1/2 bronze sheave running dumb on 1/2 inch SS pins held by tu'pence coins in teak shell and 1/4 x 1 inch thru strop. Been 35 years and never a squeak They started life as an old teak table from a dumpster and a chunk of shaft from a fish boat.Cost about a buck and four pence each. Too strong n'ver broke.
Old 10-19-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Got to Bermuda in this year's race. Tidying up the boat at the dock afterwards one of the guys noticed that the pin on the shackle holding one of the blocks for the mainsheet was JUST BARELY threaded. As in 1.5 more turns and it would have come out. Considering that 80+ hours of our 88 hours underway was in 18-25 knots of wind that would NOT have been a good thing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.