Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsailor View Post
I'm convinced, now I just have to remove the non-functioning 'full' msd system, convert the holding tanks to lockers and install a c head.
It's the first step I'm kinda having trouble with getting started on.
Is there a neutralizer I can add to my holding tank to help knock down any potential odor and avoid upsetting my neighbors? With the engine removed, it's kinda hard to get the boat to a pump out station.
Bleach.

MedSailor
Old 06-05-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

We love our Airhead composting toilet and would never go back to a regular pump/holding tank system. Nasty!

One thing we did in preparation of removing our old system is to have our ducks in a row...rags handy and duck tape handy. Lift a hose off a connection, stuff it with a rag and duck tape it. Having a game plan meant we had no spillage. Except for the very lowest hose that was connected to the back lower portion of the commode. But, that was basically water...since we had pumped out the holding tank, and ran water thru all hoses and pipes and pumped again, before starting the project.

Also, if you can, have two people there to do the job. After stuffing and taping both ends of a hose, you still have to get it out of there. And you may have a 6' long piece. I pulled from one end while my hubs pushed from the other. Team work was very much needed, and appreciated, in the removal of the hoses.
Old 06-05-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I am a poor sailor and most of my upgrades are "hand me downs" from rich sailors that wanted "the latest greatest"....also I very rarely (especially for expensive boat gadgets) pay retail...but a composting head is something I was willing to bite the bullet on and pay full price. Just so happens a friend of mine bought an Air-head and tried to use it on land with 3 people, that plus several other things made kept it from working properly....so he gave it to me.
What I am trying to say is it's wort it.....and is one of the few things where the "marine" version is cheaper than the land version.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
...since we had pumped out the holding tank, and ran water thru all hoses and pipes and pumped again, before starting the project.
Thanks for the input, I just need to convince the Admiral she should be around for this little endeavor, especially if we empty the very full holding using the manual bilge pump and bucket method. The hardest part, getting it to a pump out station is why this project has not been started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 06-07-2013

SVFlyingEagle is on a distinguished road

There's a non-composting waterless toilet that claims to be odor free and does let you wrap it up and throw it away, in much the same manner as baby diapers can be contained and disposed of. Its called the Dry Flush (www dot dry-flush dot com/ ) and boaters are said to have been buying them. I'd like to hear about its merits and demerits from any boater who's had experience with it.
Old 08-26-2014

svformosa41 is on a distinguished road

So after a LONG process, we will not be going with AirHead and will never recommend them to anyone we know. Below is an email thread between the owner of Airhead and us.
TLDR: Terrible customer service. Refused to fix faulty toilet. Extremely unprofessional. Still think a great product but would NEVER buy from them again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edited out by tdw

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So needless to say we will not be doing business with Airhead ever again. I truly have never experienced such a lack of customer service and had someone take a faulty unit so personally. We still think the unit is a great product, but if anything ever goes wrong... No way!

Edit by tdw ..... there is dispute between the parties over the relevent facts. From information sent to us by AirHead (Trott) we can only conclude that while there may well be fault on both sides SVFormosa41's claims are very much open to question. somewhat exagerated and/or SVF is cherry picking the posted comments. . Other than SVF's actual complaint large parts of his posts have therefore been edited out.

Last edited by tdw; 10-07-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: See body of message.
Old 08-26-2014

amelia is on a distinguished road

Oh, dear! What an extremely odd way to respond to a disgruntled customer... I hope Mr. Trott isn't suffering from some sort of poor health or neurological malfunction, because it seems otherwise inexplicable that a reputable manufacturer who values his good name would respond in such a peculiar fashion. Rudeness may be satisfying in the short run, but it is mighty hard on business in the long run.

FWIW, we remain pleased with our C-Head, and are now quite relieved that we made the choice we did.
Old 08-26-2014

svformosa41 is on a distinguished road

I honestly still think the AirHead is a great product! My parents and three other friends love them! But the customer service is enough to never do business with them again IMO.
Old 08-27-2014
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

Some people have anchors but never use them and are afraid to use them. Some people sail for decades and never use their anchors. Heads are somewhat like that.

I have used boats with composting heads. They make me feel somewhat uncomfortable, but I can't offer a rational reason why they do.

The problem I find is people who haven't used them, won't use them. The men pee over the side, and hold their poop, the women cross there legs and ask to stop ashore. Women, in particular, never want to come back. So it turns a yacht into a day sailor and turns people off to sailing.

Meanwhile, people (guests) don't seem to mind using a traditional head.

My preference is an electric or vacu-flush head, that a charter guest can use by pressing a button and requires the intelligence of a monkey to use. Perfect for kids who leave a pile of poop and never flush.

Newbies often get confused on how to use a traditional head with the wet and dry lever. Even people who have sailed for years on a smaller boat, are unsure what to do because they have no experience using a head. I recently taught a woman of 47 and a man of 72 how to use a head, and each took notes on this!

What do I use? I have two big Groco's with a 2.5" piston and a big easy to use long handle lever instead of a lame T handle style. It will flush a raincoat, so it handles fossilized rock hard poop and sanitary products easily.

Odor? Many heads stink out of the vent because people over fill them. I flush mine 2-3 times every pump out and never let them get overfilled. I put in de-oderizer, and a bit of oil from time to time. I change the hoses periodically to avoid the crystalline deposits. If your holding tanks are above the waterline, they will self drain offshore in a seaway--they work well IMHO. I see no reason to change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Old 08-27-2014

amelia is on a distinguished road

The big one-button big-flush head sounds like a good solution for a very large (extra weight and complexity no problem) craft that caters to the country club charter crowd. It is probably especially good if you have paid crew in charge of all the less appealing disposal and repair chores. If I were in your Topsiders I would make exactly the same decision, Cap'n.

As it is, our choices were limited by not only weight and complexity, but convenience, space, and time to devote to the least interesting aspect of overnight boating. We had picked out an electric head, with all the extra equipment, pump, water supply, chemicals, and behind-the-scenes effort it required, all nicey-nice whoosh, all-gone! technology, when our state politicians passed a no-treat-and-dump, even in wide-open water, law, and a pump-out log requirement. It was the smallest of straws, but that was it. As the poor dear in the viral video lamented, "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat."

The desiccating type head surely isn't for everyone, but so far, all of our guests have dealt with our low-tech solution with courage, flexibility, common sense and maturity, and most blessedly, without comment. (We have had the pleasure of choosing excellent friends!) Better yet, I haven't had to learn how to disentangle a macerator, worry about holding tank capacity far from the nearest working pumpout station, or replacing stinky hoses. If I can tolerate cleaning my kitten's litter box, tending to this C-Head is a considerably less obnoxious chore.
Finally, it occurs to me that well-kept composting heads are lots nicer than those ubiquitous portapotties lined up at outdoor events, which the masses seem to use without any difficulty or emotional scarring. Obviously, the luxury crowd avoids fairgrounds, air shows, campgrounds, and other low-class venues. The bathrooms at the polo grounds are solid carved marble, dahling.
The Following User Says Thank You to amelia For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (08-27-2014)

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.