Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013

amelia is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Add us to the C-Head fan club. After a year, we find it entirely odor-free, very easy to maintain, and have had no cleaning or urine overflow problems. For men whose whole self-concept is tied to their very-special ability to stand up to pee, I invite them to either get over their little hangup or to head for the lee rail... Most men cannot aim nearly as well as they seem to think they can, and I am on that boat to enjoy myself, not to clean up splattered urine. Ick!!
The size of the C-Head is far superior, for our boat, anyway, to the other two composters. it is narrow, requires no side room for the crank, and is no taller than the toilet at home, thus no platform, no extra overhead room, or footrest necessary.
Emptying the urine container is not a problem for us... Carrying a gallon jug to the restroom when we stop for fuel is easy and inconspicuous. Nobody would even imagine the terribly illegal dumping of a jug over the side or in the nearest shoreside wilderness bushes before bedtime..and perish the very idea of rinsing that jug down the sink with the grey water. The used peat/poop goes neatly into a ventilated secondary container, very quick, odorless and easy job, for months later disposal ashore.
We know there are fastidious folk who are grossed out by compost, but fine and dandy with gallons of sewage beneath their bunks, flapper valves, stinky hoses, chemicals, and such. They are ok with waiting their turn at the nearest pumpout station on a beastly hot day, (if it is even operating), keeping a pumpout log-required by law in some areas, unclogging, er, 'unapproved deposits' by uncooperative guests, and replacing worn out or broken components at the worst possible time, but are horrified at the couple of minutes required to dump a bucket of lumpy dried peat in a plastic bag every few weeks and disposing of it, along with the galley trash. Whatever! It is great to have choices, then, isn't it?
Brent Swain and Atlas like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

I'm convinced, now I just have to remove the non-functioning 'full' msd system, convert the holding tanks to lockers and install a c head.
It's the first step I'm kinda having trouble with getting started on.
Is there a neutralizer I can add to my holding tank to help knock down any potential odor and avoid upsetting my neighbors? With the engine removed, it's kinda hard to get the boat to a pump out station.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 06-05-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsailor View Post
I'm convinced, now I just have to remove the non-functioning 'full' msd system, convert the holding tanks to lockers and install a c head.
It's the first step I'm kinda having trouble with getting started on.
Is there a neutralizer I can add to my holding tank to help knock down any potential odor and avoid upsetting my neighbors? With the engine removed, it's kinda hard to get the boat to a pump out station.
Bleach.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-05-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

We love our Airhead composting toilet and would never go back to a regular pump/holding tank system. Nasty!

One thing we did in preparation of removing our old system is to have our ducks in a row...rags handy and duck tape handy. Lift a hose off a connection, stuff it with a rag and duck tape it. Having a game plan meant we had no spillage. Except for the very lowest hose that was connected to the back lower portion of the commode. But, that was basically water...since we had pumped out the holding tank, and ran water thru all hoses and pipes and pumped again, before starting the project.

Also, if you can, have two people there to do the job. After stuffing and taping both ends of a hose, you still have to get it out of there. And you may have a 6' long piece. I pulled from one end while my hubs pushed from the other. Team work was very much needed, and appreciated, in the removal of the hoses.
Old 06-05-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I am a poor sailor and most of my upgrades are "hand me downs" from rich sailors that wanted "the latest greatest"....also I very rarely (especially for expensive boat gadgets) pay retail...but a composting head is something I was willing to bite the bullet on and pay full price. Just so happens a friend of mine bought an Air-head and tried to use it on land with 3 people, that plus several other things made kept it from working properly....so he gave it to me.
What I am trying to say is it's wort it.....and is one of the few things where the "marine" version is cheaper than the land version.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
...since we had pumped out the holding tank, and ran water thru all hoses and pipes and pumped again, before starting the project.
Thanks for the input, I just need to convince the Admiral she should be around for this little endeavor, especially if we empty the very full holding using the manual bilge pump and bucket method. The hardest part, getting it to a pump out station is why this project has not been started.

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 06-07-2013

SVFlyingEagle is on a distinguished road

There's a non-composting waterless toilet that claims to be odor free and does let you wrap it up and throw it away, in much the same manner as baby diapers can be contained and disposed of. Its called the Dry Flush (www dot dry-flush dot com/ ) and boaters are said to have been buying them. I'd like to hear about its merits and demerits from any boater who's had experience with it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

svformosa41 is on a distinguished road

So after a LONG process, we will not be going with AirHead and will never recommend them to anyone we know. Below is an email thread between the owner of Airhead and us.
TLDR: Terrible customer service. Refused to fix faulty toilet. Extremely unprofessional. Still think a great product but would NEVER buy from them again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Trott, To recap, we started our AirHead experience with Ron Ibsen, who was extremely responsive and friendly to work with. He passed us off to you and things went downhill from there. It took several calls just to get you to respond and almost two months to complete our order, on which we had to call/email several times since you were unresponsive and talk to your manufacturer. Once we received the AirHead it was not functioning properly. These things happen and as I stated on our call, I understand you can get a bad lemon in the bunch. From the first call where I expressed my frustration in not having a working toilet after waiting for it for two month, you acted like we were using it improperly and that we were bothering you. Yes, we did not have the fan hooked up yet, but not having the fan hooked up should not allow several cups of urine to flow into the solid waste compartment. You also asked where I was peeing and said that that may cause the issue. If that is the case why is it not an issue on my parents AirHead? Throughout our dealing you have inconvenienced us, the paying customer. From the first call that I let you know that the unit was not working properly, rather than handling it professionally and taking care of the bad unit (which again happens and we understand this, but just wanted a working AirHead that we had heard good things about), you asked us to inconvenience our parents and hook our malfunctioning toilet top onto their toilet to test to see if it still leaks. I expressed my unhappiness to do so but complied. We tested our toilet top on their AirHead and it continued to leak urine into their solid waste toilet (which they now have had to replace their peat moss due to the urine leaking in). We also hooked their toilet top to our base and saw no such leakage. After informing you of this and asking if you could send a new unit upon receiving shipping confirmation, you informed me that you couldn't do that because you couldn't resell the "used" toilet legally and weren't willing to send a new unit. Again I expressed my unhappiness about this, since we paid over $1000 for a NEW unit and didn't want to start with one that was already needing repaired. You were unwilling to send a new unit, so I agreed to send the unit 2 day priority back to you. After our call I emailed a general question asking about the warranty to the generic email address on your company website. To my surprise rather than getting an answer back on a simple question you personally respond with this email saying that I need to return the entire product for a refund and am not allowed to do business with you anymore. Not only me but my entire family. My parents have an AirHead toilet and have had nothing but praise about it's performance. Are they not longer allowed to buy parts for their toilet now? Is there warranty no longer going to be honored? This is an extremely personal response on your side and I find it extremely unprofessional. We are very disappointed as we have heard nothing but good things about AirHead toilets from several other boaters that have one. We still think it is a great product and wish the customer service matched. While we would still like to have an AirHead toilet you have made it clear from your email that you are unwilling to work with a customer that is simply trying to get a working unit. I will package the unit and send it tomorrow along with the tracking information. Once the package is received we will expect to see a refund in our account shortly after. Again, I truly wish we could have done business with you as we heard/seen nothing but good reviews about the product, but your professional customer care is EXTREMELY lacking.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Email from owner removed by moderator]

FedEx Tracking Number: ************** Once again you have shown your true lack of professionalism by referring to me as a “20 something”. Just for your information, this “20 something” has been a civilian United Nations translator in Kosovo, fought for this country in the Air Force (Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan), and has worked his entire life. You know nothing about me sir and the fact that you STILL refuse to help a customer that just wants a working product is still mind boggling to me! As for “lost business of your friends, family and acquaintances” you are correct! ANYONE that will listen, will hear about your terrible customer service. Once the confirmation of the package deliver is received we expect to see our refund in our account within 48 hours of delivery. You have a great day Mr. Trott!

So needless to say we will not be doing business with Airhead ever again. I truly have never experienced such a lack of customer service and had someone take a faulty unit so personally. We still think the unit is a great product, but if anything ever goes wrong... No way!

Last edited by DRFerron; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:20 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

amelia is on a distinguished road

Oh, dear! What an extremely odd way to respond to a disgruntled customer... I hope Mr. Trott isn't suffering from some sort of poor health or neurological malfunction, because it seems otherwise inexplicable that a reputable manufacturer who values his good name would respond in such a peculiar fashion. Rudeness may be satisfying in the short run, but it is mighty hard on business in the long run.

FWIW, we remain pleased with our C-Head, and are now quite relieved that we made the choice we did.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

svformosa41 is on a distinguished road

I honestly still think the AirHead is a great product! My parents and three other friends love them! But the customer service is enough to never do business with them again IMO.

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors