Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

DO NOT USE SAWDUST
I asked the sales rep if it needed a special peat moss and he said he was not trying to sell me something I could get anywhere....any peat most work (he said get a big bag, separate it into 1gal ziplock bags and if it is dry spray with a little water before using it (I just kept an eye out for when landscapers were doing work around the the marina or some other planters and take a little here and there). Some people use coconut fiber, sawdust has too many chemicals in it and exotic woods can be toxic.
I was advised to put a commercial size coffee filter in the bowl before each use (nothing sticks to the side) but you have to be careful and get the ones that do not have bleach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sounds like this makes great sense for a small boat. But:
1.Every since I found out I could write my name in snow I stubbornly stand.
2. Even sitting would be concerned about getting #1 where it's needs to go and same for #2 when it's bouncy. Concerned if thing will work correctly on a passage.
3. When coastal use fresh water in my heads and flush with salt straight overboard when offshore. No smell ever.
4. Have two people on board 95% of time. Have two heads with large holding tanks tucked away. Flush whenever we go in for water or diesel or for a sail. Not an issue.

?Has anybody use one of these on a passage making boat.? How did it work out for you.
Old 04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I wonder how would sawdust work in composting toilets?
Is there a preferred ratio of poop to coconut fiber or peat moss?
Which one of the composting toilets is the smallest (best able to fit in a small boat)?
Sales rep for Nature's head said 1 gallon zip lock bag full of peat moss. You can also buy stuff to spray in it after each use, I am guessing some sort of enzyme as a "helper" (some sources of this can be extremely expensive).
Old 04-08-2013

troy2000 is on a distinguished road

Per suggestions in the owner's manual for my C-Head, I keep my peat moss in plastic wide-mouth jars that hold about a quart each. I pre-fill them outside with a scoop from the bucket I keep my peat moss in, stash them on a shelf, and use about 1 1/2 jars each time I empty the unit. They're just the right size for dumping into the C-Head without making a mess.....

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

My book has the dimensions and details on building a composter. A sheet of newspaper
( with a picture of a politician you hate on it) works as well as a coffee filtre.
The stuff you find under old, moss covered logs works as well as peat moss. I put it in a cloth bag and hang it over my wood stove for a while, to dry it.
Old 04-08-2013

Even though I am poor and on a budget, my boat came with a port-i-pottie and that just had to go. The ""proper head" along with through hull, holding tank, etc was gone and was to complicated to replace. I was willing to bite the bullet and buy a new air-head (about $975). But a friend had tried one out in a land setting and it failed miserably, none of the fault was the air head, he just used it wrong in the wrong environment with too many people, etc...so he gave it to me.
The foot print is the same as the port-i-pottie, but it is 6" higher and would no longer fit under the bunk....so I installed a bulkhead giving more places to install shelves and bins and giving me an enclosed head (woohoo).
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I wonder how would sawdust work in composting toilets?
Is there a preferred ratio of poop to coconut fiber or peat moss?
Which one of the composting toilets is the smallest (best able to fit in a small boat)?
I don't know that there's any ratio quoted; you charge your unit with the amount specified by the instructions, then add more if it doesn't seem to be doing the job. My C-Head takes 1 1/2 to 2 one-quart jars of peat moss; the others are larger and take more.

Of the three we've been talking about here (Air Head, Nature's Head and C-Head), the C-Head is definitely the smallest and lightest. That doesn't mean it's flimsy, though; it's solid as a rock.

There are basically three models, if I remember right. The original, which I have, is great for setting against a vertical bulkhead. There's another one with a smaller footprint in the back, for fitting into corners better. And the third one has the bottom clipped at an angle in the back, so it'll fit better against the sloped side of a boat.

I'd post links or pictures, but I haven't reached the magic number of ten posts yet....

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

For me one of the key things that sold me on a C-head was I no longer had to use that flimsy single ply tissue. Soft double-ply luxury is available and affordable and doesn't plug the plumbing!
MedSailor likes this.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
I don't know that there's any ratio quoted; you charge your unit with the amount specified by the instructions, then add more if it doesn't seem to be doing the job. My C-Head takes 1 1/2 to 2 one-quart jars of peat moss; the others are larger and take more.

Of the three we've been talking about here (Air Head, Nature's Head and C-Head), the C-Head is definitely the smallest and lightest. That doesn't mean it's flimsy, though.

There are basically three models, if I remember right. The original, which I have, is great for setting against a vertical bulkhead. There's another one with a smaller footprint, that fits into corners better. And the third one has the bottom clipped at an angle in the back, so it'll fit better against the sloped side of a boat.

I'd post links or pictures, but I haven't reached the magic number of ten posts yet....
I think I'm allowed to post pic's now... let's give it a try.

The problem with my installation was that there's a plumbing and electrical chase against the back wall that holds the toilet out about four inches (thanks, dad-in-law who never saw a job you couldn't mickey-mouse....). The space was so small to begin with that even with the old RV flushing toilet I had to open the door to wipe my bottom without leaving a forehead print on said door. With the C-Head being four inches closer to the door than the old toilet that flared out over the chase, I just leave it ajar now. No biggie; I'm the only one here.

The other problem with the chase holding the toilet off the back wall was that it left the toilet lid unsupported in the up position. I took care of that by installing a pocket shelf on the back wall, that's just low enough to catch the top of the toilet lid. End of problem - and I wound up with a handy place to stash toilet-related supplies, like the spray cleanser with vinegar I use for the urine catcher and the baking soda I mix into the peat moss.

It's also a great place to stow the crank and lid when I'm using the toilet.. No more just dropping them on the floor, or leaning them in the wash basin.....

And by the way, I shouldn't rag on my father-in-law; I was mostly joking. He originally picked this motor home up cheap somewhere and put an ungodly number of hours into bringing it back from the dead, intending to sell it for a profit. Then he decided I needed it because I work away from home - and just flat gave it to me. I've never added up what he's saved me in rent for the last 12 years by doing that, but it's gotta be a bundle.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.-004.jpg  
krisscross likes this.

Last edited by troy2000; 05-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2013

I found a source of "bleach-less" commercial coffee filters to line the inside of the bowl with (WalMart about $8 for 200 Melita I think). I have also heard of people who had an old holding tank replaced the pee jug with a hose to the holding tank.

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.