Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

kjzerr is on a distinguished road
Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

Hello All:

We are refitting the interior of our recently-purchased C&C 36R. The 36R was produced as a "stripped down" racing model with a basic head that discharges straight to the sea--no holding tank. As I have been evaluating the cost of a waste management system (holding tank, pump, hoses, vents, etc.), the composting toilet option compares well from a cost perspective.

Though I have read many testimonials holding such heads in high regard, I am still not convinced that a "waterless" head such as this is the most sanitary option and is truly void of odors. I am hoping those who have experience with the Air Head composting toilet or one of similar manufacture could offer some specifics as to their use. It appears that they use some sort of a filter? How long can they go, reasonably, before needing to be emptied? Are they really sanitary given that there is no water utilized to rinse the bowl?

All thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Thanks! Kermit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Head Composting Toilet or Similar Mfg.

We have looked at these as well, it would be good to get some first hand reports.

Last edited by Pegu club; 10-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Search the sailnet topics and you'll find a few LONG threads on composting toilets. I think it's all been said already. I have a Nature's Head and I can tell you that it works just as advertised, there is ZERO odor and I get about 60 to 80 uses before I empty it. Urine I empty every night just after dark. It's one of the best upgrades I did on my boat and I wouldn't even consider going back to a regular marine head. All in all, you'll find that people who have a composting head sing their praise, those that don't have one speculate on odors, inconveniences etc. Before you install one, go and visit a boat that has one and ask a lot of questions. If you have a specific question, just fire away.
Old 10-15-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

most composting heads, will use a liquid diverter to keep that from the solids...solids are often collected in cheap coffee filters....which keep the mess to a minimum..and still allows decomposition..

again most will have some turning widget or agitation mechanism to shake things up...with a good peat moss, no liquids and good vents they can go a month or two of casual use even for two people...

venting is mandatory both in and around the "hold" as well as keeping the smell down.

It is all in what you are used to...better than an outhouse, but not labor free or odor free as the manufacturer would have you believe....and you still have to deal with the liquid collection...as it is illegal to simply dump it overboard, after collection
Old 10-15-2012

Do you have a composting toilet kd3pc? Note that ALL composting toilets for boats separate the liquids from the solids. Only the Air Head uses a coffee filter, which you don't actually have to use. There is no odor if you use it correctly... ZERO odor. Disposing of liquids is an inconvenience. Urine is sterile- I just dump it in the sea every night. I suggest you visit a boat that has one installed to get the straight poop on it.
Old 10-15-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Do you have a composting toilet kd3pc? Note that ALL composting toilets for boats separate the liquids from the solids. Only the Air Head uses a coffee filter, which you don't actually have to use. There is no odor if you use it correctly... ZERO odor. Disposing of liquids is an inconvenience. Urine is sterile- I just dump it in the sea every night. I suggest you visit a boat that has one installed to get the straight poop on it.
I have two in a self sustained cabin, one airhead branded and one before airhead name and it is as you describe. Totally odor free. Months of service for the two of us. Early units did not separate liquids and solids, and every one of them, if not minded well and often...did have issues...odors, and messes. They have come a long way.

In the US, sterile or not, it is illegal to dump the urine...overboard

I have been aboard several boats where the installation was not done as well as it should and the venting, or lack there of, causes odors...or the owner has modified the vent with fans and bends and traps...several others where they just let the liquids go in to the dry stuff....which destroys the process and causes odors, bad ones.

If installed correctly and maintained correctly, they can be an option...
Old 10-15-2012

I agree. The trick is to operate them correctly to be odor free. Keeping liquids out of the solids chamber is essential. The fan not so much.

Dumping the urine is a daily chore and not everyone likes to carry a jug of piss around, especially if you have to lug it to a public bathroom to dispose of. This is why I suggest the OP visits a boat with a composting toilet installed so he/she can get a real notion of what's involved exactly. I can only speak from my experience that I'm 100% happy with mine (but then I don't find dumping the urine bottle over the side a big deal or emptying the solids chamber once in a while).
Old 10-15-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Calling Chris&Kate...
Old 10-15-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In the US, sterile or not, it is illegal to dump the urine...overboard
Only in a NDZ. However you can take a whizz over the side of a boat in a NDZ
& that's legal. Go figure???
Old 10-15-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

composting toilet report

It would be nice if one could line the chamber that receives the solid with a heavy opaque plastic bag. When time came to empty the chamber all one would have to do is tie the bag closed and toss it into the dumpster. Much like the garbage can in the kitchen is lined with a plastic bag.

Tags
air head , composting toilet , head , waste odors