Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-11-2004

Cony is on a distinguished road
No clue re: outboard motor!? Saltwater question!

Hi -
I need help!
I am looking to buy a new outboard for my 26'' sailboat....
now, what I want is: 9.9HP, 4-stroke, el.start, tiller handle, also batteries must be able to charge from it. I want the shaft extra long, 28" at least. And, most important, it''ll be used in saltwater.

My budget is only $2000 and I want it new. Brand new. Why? Cause I see all those people with shiny "almost new" motors, that always have some sort of problem. They can fix it on their own - I don''t know how. I am a woman.... I like things with warranties:-)

Anyhow....I researched Mercuries so far.... and yes, they have these brand-new ones that specifically do NOT SAY IT IS FOR SALTWATER, and they run about $2000, but have everything else I am looking for........

now do I really need a motor that EXPLICITLY says it is for SALTWATER? What''s the deal with that? I found those, who have the word "saltwater" added, and they are about $2500, which is out of my budget.

So... what are my options, if I still want to go with brand-new???
I also looked at Tohatsu... less money, but I haven''t found one with the word "saltwater" attached!

Any ideas?

Clueless about almost anything that involves a motor:-)
C.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Tohatsu and I am very, very pleased. It is a number of years old but starts for my every time on the second pull. The only problem I have ever had with it in about ten years is the replacement of the impeller...which basically is a normal maintenance issue. If I had to buy another motor tomorrow, my first choice would be another Tohatsu. They are excellent for help and advice on their web site...go there and ask about your concerns.

I am female also and I singlehand so it is important to me also for my motor to be dependable and simple to maintain.
Old 03-12-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road

Not that long ago none of the outboards said saltwater on them. While some of the parts may be upgraded for a "saltwater" motor, I think its more marketing hype than fact. Outboards are kind of funny, given you take reasonable care of them you either get one the runs great with very little problems or one thats a pain in the ***, kind of an odds thing. I bought a Sususki 140 years ago and everyone busted my chops, bla bla bla bla bla. Guess whose motor always ran with out any problems. Don''t get sucked into the hype.
Old 03-12-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road

Not that long ago none of the outboards said saltwater on them. While some of the parts may be upgraded for a "saltwater" motor, I think its more marketing hype than fact. Outboards are kind of funny, given you take reasonable care of them you either get one the runs great with very little problems or one thats a pain in the ***, kind of an odds thing. I bought a Sususki 140 years ago and everyone busted my chops, bla bla bla bla bla. Guess whose motor always ran with out any problems. Don''t get sucked into the hype.
Old 03-12-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road

I don''t know anyone at my yacht club that has saltwater on their outboards, and that''s almost 1/2 of the fleet. As long as you wash it down from time to time, change the lower end oil each year, change the sparkplugs , etc., etc., you should have years of service with your outboard. I bought a Nissan (same as Tohotsu ) last year and it has run flawlessly all season. $2000 is about the low end limit for a 9.9 hp with electric start long shaft and alternator.

check out www.marine-outboards.com

good luck
Old 03-12-2004

soapstone is on a distinguished road

Hello-

If you can get access to it, practical sailor recently did a pretty good comparison of outboards. Might be worth checking it out.
Old 03-12-2004

gunnyman is on a distinguished road

Check the E-Bay under the name of motor you are interested in. New and used I think you will find some goo deals. Look for the dealers competing with each other. A good deal can be had to include shipping if you just watch what you are doing. BTW Tohatsu makes Nissan, Mercury and some other small motors. I have personel experiance with Tohatsu and would recommend them above all others. These engines are made to perform and to last.
Old 03-13-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

You may want to ask a dealer if there are any "last years" models available. These may knock $250 or more off of the base price and are still new motors.

Now, I''ve been around boats a long time and have never heard of an outboard manufacturer who makes motors strictly for fresh water usage. I’d go on a limb here and tell you that all of the major brand outboards are useable and intended for use in salt water. In fact, when researching for my new outboard some years ago, the Mercs were touted as having a protective coating run inside of all of the water journals to help protect the motor from corrosion.

One more thing: Toilet paper is more useful then the warrantee paper when you’re 20 miles off shore with a nasty squall breathing down your neck! The best insurance is knowledge. Gender, skin color or sexual preference has nothing to do with the need for a sailor to have an understanding of and be able to troubleshoot and affect at least minimal repairs to all of the boat’s systems at sea. Go to your local high school and see if you can take an adult education course in small engine repair. Tell the instructor your reason for being there and he may be able to tailor his teaching better to meet your requirements.