Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you organize your tools?

Harbor Freight canvas bag. Completely disorganized. Cheap, strong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Organize my ... tools? Ho ho ho ho! I may one day, if I can find them all.

In the meantime I throw most of my tools in two toolboxes I keep at home; and I have one toolbag on the boat with common tools that handle most jobs. But I take stuff from home to the boat, depending on the job I plan to do. Oh! And I have three 5 gallon buckets (well, old kitty litter buckets that hold about 5 gallons) of boat maint supplies with a few specialty tools mixed in since I only use them with those supplies.

Then there are the tools my son tries to walk off with, err I mean borrows, every so often when he works on his car, and neglects to return, and the tools my grandson snarfs from the garage when he gets away, and then carries around the house 'til he tires of them and drops them. And ...
Pasadena, MD
Old 10-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Nylon Gym bags or Nylon for sockets, power tools. Small felible leather breifcases for electrical, plumbing HVC and spare engine parts, One for each category. I usually buy the large zip locks and organize with each bag with them.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I'm set up simular to silvio with med. size canvas mason bags

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 10-15-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I personally like the pile-it method! Reality is, I have an actual tool box with some wrenches etc in it. A Sears book style metric/sae socket set, another little tool box with some electrical gizmos......beyond that, all the BIG stuff at home. ALtho I will take a battery operated drill out upon occasion, usually left at home

In the mean time, one cubby below the first starboard settee bench is where it is at! one in front, the wine cellar, first on port water, end for BIG anchor and extra inflatable pfds.

That is my story, and I'm a sticken it to ya!

marty
Old 10-16-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

I have one bag we can the little red ditty bag which has the most common stuff a multi screwdriver, a small adjustable wrench, a multi tool, a multi allen wrench, flashlight, etc.

Next I have the "tool bag" -- a canvas husky bag from home depot which hold the screwdrivers; hammer; wrenches; pliers; etc. -- all the big stuff. This thing weighs about 50 lbs.

Another bag holds all my box /open wrenches, ratchets and sockets

Next is an electrical "bag" and an electrical box (the latter with fittings and the like)

I have another bag which holds metal working tools / drill bits / files etc.

There are a handful of other tools which are stored separately for various reasons (i.e., the bolt cutters don't fit in a box/bag and don't need to be easily accessible)

This doesn't include "parts" or "materials" which are stored separately.

It works - barely. Like everything else on the boat, it is an evolving system (we can't all be maine sail, right?)

-M
Old 10-16-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

My system is an extension of what I had when I had my own Porsche shop.
There I had really big tool box, a smaller cart with 2 drawers and 2 shelves, and a bench with many plastic boxes of specialty tools. The small cart had all the stuff that I used on every job.
Now I have a medium tool bag with all of my fractional 1/4" & 3/8" ratchets and extensions, fractional wrenches under 3/4", my favorite pliers (several), about half of my screwdrivers, 2 hammers, a small pry bar, most of my small stuff, all the stuff I use on almost every job. Next is a large bag with the rest of my screwdrivers, all my 1/2" fractional stuff, bigger hammers and pry bars, scrapers and big wrenches, most of the rest of my stuff.
I have a bag of drill bits that I keep with the drill, a bag of taps and dies, hole saws in a plastic case and other weird stuff like a piston ring compressor, a valve spring comressor and other things I hope I never need stored mostly in a single area but not in a bag right next to my spare parts that I also hope I never need. Lastly (almost) I have all my metric stuff that I use only on my outboard in a smaller bag in that same area. Beyond all that I have a small junk drawer that has a slot and a phillips screwdriver, a small pair of Knipex pliers, and a small crescent wrench.
The very last part is stuff like my big 3' prybar and other long things that won't fit anywhere that the rest of the tools belong that I store down next to the engine.
Tool bags really suck compared to my huge Snap-on box but I wouldn't go back to fixing cars every day.

Old 10-16-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I got a Nantucket bucket at a boat show - lots of pockets and flaps and such and it rolls out flat.
It's not as organized as I would like, but it has pretty much all my loose tools in it and odds and bits like tape and goop and wire bits.

Everything else is in their respective case where one is provided. Most of it's stored in places that make sense to me by type of tool (wood chisels, sandpaper and wood tools in one place for instance, drill and bits in another).

Since I have a boat house at the dock I've been keeping pretty much a full set of tools including power saw, drill etc.. I pretty much hate climbing up the hill to the garage to get a thing I'm missing.

I've also been spoiled in that on the Gemini I got a whole hull as tools and spares storage, and the other hull was galley stuff. Lots of cubby holes and tuck aways for stuff. Too much stuff. I carted off 4 heavy bags and boxes of tools and parts.

We'll see how it fits on the Irwin.
Old 10-16-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

OK , so i've been looking at the various ideas floated here and when we do the new fridge I'm going to have to go a bit soft. (other than in the head and around the belly )

Anyone have an opinion on the best rolls ? Bucket Boss do look good on the screen. Other brands to consider ?

I see Mason bags and they look interesting but all I have seen have masonite floors. How does that hold up ?

Chuckles, what is a Nantucket bucket ?

Good thread btw. Thanks for kicking it off WnW.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-16-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I just took most of my tools off the boat having decided they were just getting too much rust. I figure I will carry them back and forth when I plan to do jobs on the boat.
When I had my bike shop I had all of my tools on the wall over the workbench plus essential duplicates on a tool caddy mounted to the repair stand. It was so easy to keep organized and quickly grab the tool you needed - even separate allen wrenches. I just could not figure out how to organize the same way on my boat.
Lowes had a special on two canvas bags, so I bought them, one is all the electrical stuff and the other the general maintenance stuff. Also, I keep a screwdriver with four heads and a pair of pliers on the "chart table" accessible from the cockpit. The big stuff, large channel locks, hammer, pipe wrench, hack saw are on shelf and the tool bags sit on top of them in a cabinet under the vanity. Decided long time ago to carry electrical tools back and forth, but do keep a had drill in the bag.
Whenever I'm going to be doing several jobs, I put a cloth on the table and lay out all my tools much like they would be on a tool board.
But then, I don't have nearly the number of tools some have shown here.