Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
How do you organize your tools?

A long time ago I organized my tools. I thought I had a good system, with several small bags to keep the heavy stuff manageable. I put the sockets in one bag, wrenches pliers and screwdrivers in another, and drill and bits in another etc.

Well as you may have predicted I have to haul out every bag for every job it seems. I also curse the metric sockets for weighing down my bag when working on an SAE engine, or gurse the need for one screwdriver necessitating pulling out the whole bag.

I once tried a smaller bag, with a little of everthing in it and it seemed to always be missing the right tool. It also meant that for bigger jobs the tools most used were back in that bag.

So how do you do it? I have a lot of tools and the disorganization of them is enough to keep me from starting a project. It's time to re-do the whole thing. What do you put in which bags? How do you sort them? What make and model of bag do you use? What about bucket organizers? Good idea or bad?

Oh and photos please!

MedSailor
tdw and davidpm like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you organize your tools?

http://www.contractors-solutions.net...arge-tools.jpg

or you could also get

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...5895-24434.jpg

they also have the 5 gallon tool organizer insterts
Old 10-15-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

First a word about bags. You have to have bags on a boat. When I bought the boat, after the handshake but before the delivery I ordered tons of crap I anticipated I'd need. One item was a waterproof toolBOX. As soon as I got near the boat with that thing I realized my mistake. Boxes, and hard objects in general arn't well suited for curved, akward shapes on boats (especially small ones) - it couldn't be stowed or stored anywhere.

I organize tools in two toolbags - a small one with the most needed tools - screwdriver, wrench, pliers, scissors etc, and a large one with bulkier and less often needed tools. Both bags fully close. On land I love the open ones but on the boat I prefer being able to close it up.

Further I have 3 rectangular soft coolers for storage of supplies - extra hardware, sealant, fuses etc. etc. I've found the coolers to be excellent storage because they're large for the money, hold their shape when they need to but stuff and conform easily when they have too.

I also usually have a screwdriver (klein 11 and 1), scissors and leatherman accessible all the time.

Amazon.com: Bucket Boss Brand 06004 GateMouth Tool Bag: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Bucket Boss Brand 06004 GateMouth Tool Bag: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Custom LeatherCraft 1540 15-Inch BigMouth Cooler Bag: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Custom LeatherCraft 1540 15-Inch BigMouth Cooler Bag: Home Improvement

Old 10-15-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Med,
We keep our tools in a number of plastic tool boxes that are stowed under one of the settees right on the centre line. To date (current setup approx eight years) we've had very little problem with corrosion. We do keep some moisture absorbent material as a liner for each box. Right now (this does change from time to time) I have large box for the big stuff such as hammers, large wrenches etc; medium for other sundry pliers, smaller wrenches etc ; medium for only spanners; a small tool box for mainly electrical tools, jewellers screwdrivers, that sort of thing then separate containers for screwdrivers and socket sets. I do prefer the boxes to bags simply because they make finding individual tools so much easier though you do, I admit need a good regular shaped space which is not so easy to find on a small boat.

All good except ... plastic tool boxes are rubbish, I search thus far in vain for something of quality ; we plan on turning the locker into a second refrigerator so I need to relocate the tools. The great thing about present location is almost dead centre of boat and low down.

i've never used rolls, though I am sorely tempted.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-15-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road

Same problem with having to get everything out, but we love the roll-up ones for pretty much everything except sockets. It's easy to see what's what and we label the outside of each roll. An added advantage is that when we're putting things away, it's easy to tell if we've left a tool out and retrieve it since we label each slot.

The rolls that we got have a flap that goes over the open ends so that things can't slip out.

We put them all in a heavy duty milk crate that is strapped in place almost on the centerline under the table. On our boat, it's easy to get to but not in the way.

Last edited by CarolynShearlock; 10-15-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2012

Sunday Driver is on a distinguished road

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...53831&id=86296

I use this bag for tools and fishing bait boxes for nuts and bolts from walmart ..
the canvis bag does get heavy when loaded

Last edited by Sunday Driver; 10-15-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 10-15-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Here's my socket set, drill, wrenches and screwdrivers.

Often used tools I have a drawer under the nav station seat for. Rarely used stuff goes in a plastic bag, inside a plastic container under the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you organize your tools?-tool-storage.jpg  

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-15-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

A few (or many) years ago, before college, I owned and operated a small general contracting business. One of the few very clever things I figured out early in the business was that my jobs broke down into distinct categories, e.g plumbing, drywall, electrical, etc. With that in mind I created "kits" that were oriented toward each type of job. Sometimes there would be overlap, such as a pair of 10 inch slip joint pliers in more than one kit.

I have scaled down and incorporated this idea onto our boat. I have a tool bag for electrical, one for plumbing, and one fore general maintenance etc. There may be a few items common to more than one bag but I don't duplicate large or heavy tools. Having two screwdrivers or two needle nose pliers is worth ot to me to not have to bring out a much larger tool kit.
Old 10-15-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

whoops - forgot pic ....

I fear that new home may well be in the bilge so rolls will be imperative. I wonder if it is at all feasible and/or practical to somehow fasten tool rolls to underside of hinged bilge access panels. Would keep them very secure and very accessible.

Oh yes, power tools are kept in locker under helmsmans seat, well away from any possible moisture.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-15-2012

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

I can't work if my tools are not organized, which is why I can never get anything done at home. As a service technician I use a hard shell case with pallets and everything has it's place. I know where to reach to grab what I need without looking and when done I know if I have left something out.
With that being said for the boat tools I'm using a Husky bag from big orange . It's not great as the tool pockets do not open very much, perhaps they just need to be stretched a bit. Also it doesn't stand upright very well.

I guess I'll keep searching for the perfect bag