Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
How I replaced Windows on my C&C 26
Early this afternoon I removed one of the main cabin windows. Despite trying to be patient and very careful I managed to bend the window frame. Trying to get the old plastic out was futile. The previous owner had tried to replace the windows using thin Home depot plastic and tons of some kind of adhesive that was rock hard.
What I did was:
(1) I cut 1/4" dark tinted cast acrylic approx 1" or so larger then the metal frame top and bottom and added about 6" left and right which I cut semi circular.
(2) Pre drilled 8 screw holes - one each side and 3 top - 3 bottom.
(3)Positioned window and outlined its shape and screw holes with pencil on the boat.
(4)Masked about 1/4" outside the line and applied a bead of white adhesive ( Dow 795) and double sided automotive tape. ( Used white adhesive which blends better with the white fiberglass just in case the caulking job is not perfect).
(5)Carefully positioned windows using the screws as pilots and only snugged the screws.
(6)Ran my latex gloved finger around the perimeter silicone adhesive and immediately removed the masking tape and the protective film on the windows.
(7)Went down below and also masked the inside of the windows and applied another line of adhesive.
**For one window from start to finish it took me approx 3 hours most of which was surface preparation, with some stressful moments when caulking.
**The total material cost for two windows was: The acrylic for both windows $67, the 3m automotive tape $19.67, the adhesive caulking ($13.49 /tube) bought 2 for $26.98, latex gloves $3.55, Alcohol cleaner $1.59. Total cost $118.79
Will get to the second window when I find time and weather permits.
The finished job looks better then I expected and at least in my opinion, seems to give the boat a fresher look. Now lets hope the silicone adhesive holds and the window wont leak at least for the next couple of years.
I have now also completed the second window. I think the job I did is not perfect but it seems OK and from a distance looks great. BUT I am disappointed that close-up and when the sun hits the windows I can see my not so straight and un-even silicone and tape lines through the dark tinted plexi. --- On the positive - it only cost me less then $65 / window and judging from a recent thunder storm the windows don't leak anymore.
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do.
Last edited by anerussis; 10-19-2012 at 09:33 AM.