Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: what do you keel bolts look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
What you describe sounds like the way the keel is mounted on a Thunderbird - essentially large flathead machine screws upside down through the flange.

I'm not certain but I would suspect the keel on a Coronado would be mounted like the keel on My Columbia 43 which was similar but utilized studs threaded into the flange rather than jumbo screws through the flange.

That's the way it was done on the Columbia 26 which I believe was the same hull, with a different "lid" as the Coronado 27....
Maybe. However, that's what the keel on my Victory 21 was like. Granted, the V21 is a much smaller boat. But, it was built by Wesco, which became Coronado (or did Wesco build Coronados and Victories? ... whatever). I suspect that all the keels on their smaller boats were similar. On the other hand, if the Columbia 26 had bolts threaded into the keel, who knows?

Quote:
Do the following pics qualify me for "guru" status?
Nope. Everything is too neat. Not broken hacksaw blades littering the area. No empty beer cans. No half used-up first aid kit. The whole thing looks obviously staged to me.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Slacker

Hey. Those aren't stainless steel bolts, are they? I was told that SS on an iron keel was a no-no.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Year 32....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

hank mckune built victories, thunderbirds, helped with coronado, as they came from hank's molds, he also make olympian, yorktown, champion, all american, and consulted with others--charlie morgan, frank butler--in their origins in boat building history. all hank's keels were same in shape, and they were unique in their attachment techniques. coronado 30 and 34 came from olympian molds and much of hank's knowledge went into catalina , coronado, morgan and some few others. hank was an olympic gold medalist, and was the host of the first ever comedy talk show on television. when he left tv, he began building dinghies, a she called them.
i owned an olympian 34 and an all american 30, and i commissioned from hank a 42 ft yorktown...looong ago. he was a very interesting soul.

wesco may have bought the molds from hank, but then, as hank is no longer available fro comment, is an unknown...hank was sneaky .

maine--your bilge is gorgeous!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Last edited by zeehag; 10-19-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Slacker

Maine_Sail, that bilge is disgusting. Albert Einstein famously said, "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind." If he had seen that bilge he would have hauled you to the looney bin himself.
eherlihy and zeehag like this.
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Hey. Those aren't stainless steel bolts, are they? I was told that SS on an iron keel was a no-no.
Yep, they are electropolished S/S, coated with anti-seize before installation.

The pic of the rotten stuff I posted earlier shows what happens to regular steel bolts. I did a lot of research for that very reason - the conventional wisdom is no S/S in an iron keel. I discovered that the big Euro builders all use S/S in iron keels. Due to that and the fact they can be easily pulled and examined, I decided to go that way.

Also, I've never heard of an iron keel with S/S bolts falling off due to crevice corrosion, galvanics or anything else to do with the metals, just a lot of talk about how "dangerous" it was, none of it by the way from anyone who actually OWNED an iron keel.

However I HAVE heard of iron keels mounted with steel bolts falling off - one of them was another Columbia 43 in Sausalito.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Year 32....

I, myself, personally don't believe it - that pic was actually taken 32 years ago during the boats original commissioning.

Yowza Maine - that's the best I've seen on a GOB.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:

Yowza Maine - that's the best I've seen on a GOB.
And that's the original factory gel coat too. Never painted or re-touched just kept clean, dry and maintained.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-19-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my bilges are so much deeper than that, and so much darker.....

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 10-19-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my bilges are so much deeper than that, and so much darker.....
And that's what makes you so much more interesting.
zeehag likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.