Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
what do you keel bolts look like?

i was just wondering what keel bolts with lot of use look like and what new keel bolts look like and keel bolts that are junk look like. just want to get a idea of what condition they are in. ill post a pic tomorrow of mine.
Old 10-17-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: what do you keel bolts look like?

The problem is that there's a lot of the keel bolt that you can't see. If the visible portion is corroded, the portion passing through the keel stub is probably worse.
Old 10-17-2012
Huck

Im screwed the mine are rusted some u cant even see the head patter just round and a biy rusty no way to use a wrench to un bolt then
Old 10-17-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

There's keel bolts you can unscrew with a wrench, like the ones in Beneteaus that are only some inches long.

And then there's keel bolts, in general, which are long j-shaped rods permanently embedded in a lead keel. You can't unscrew a conventional keel bolt at all, you have to cut into the keel and cut off the "J" part to pull the rest of the shaft, unless it has heavily corroded.

If you've got the Beneteau kind, don't worry. They're meant to be removed and replaced one at a time if they get all funky. Don't like the look of them? Replace them. Grease the new ones so they stay rust-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2012
Huck

Yea im not rich im only 16 dont have a benito yet lol ill just leave my keel bolt alone then
Old 10-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

You can also add "sister" bolts by drilling into the keel in between the existing bolts and adding your own.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
i was just wondering what keel bolts with lot of use look like and what new keel bolts look like and keel bolts that are junk look like. just want to get a idea of what condition they are in. ill post a pic tomorrow of mine.
New look like the left pic, junk look like the right pic. If you have an iron keel you can replace them like these pics. Lead keel, not so much.
Attached Thumbnails
what do you keel bolts look like?-63.-new-keel-hardware-3.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-58.-actually-held-keel-.jpg  
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-19-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

It is the part that you cannot see that is the worry. These pics are from another thread (posted by eherlihy). The bilge pic shows just light surface corrosion but once the keel is dropped the real damage is visible.

As posted Beneteau type keels (cast iron) are easy to replace but a J bolt in a lead keel is not an easy nor inexpensive job.
Attached Thumbnails
what do you keel bolts look like?-dscf1181.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-dscf1527.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-dscf1528.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

wI'm pretty sure that the Coronado 27 has an iron keel with a flanged root. As such, replacing the keel bolts is very different from doing so on a boat with a lead keel.

The root of the keel sits in a "shoe" molded into the underside of the hull, and the bolts probably have countersunk heads. Remove/replace one bolt at a time. To replace the bolts you get the nuts off (use a nut splitter, cut the nut with a cut-off wheel, or just cut the bolt), then hammer the bolt from inside the boat until the head makes enough of a "pimple" in the fairing so you can tell where it is from the outside. Cut/dig/remove enough fairing to make the head of the bolt visible from the outside (or just hammer it all the way through), and hammer the bolt the rest of the way out. (Did I mention that the boat should be out of the water?). Now, take that bolt to someone with an assortment of iron pan-head bolts and match it as close as you can. Don't bother trying to figure out the size until you've removed a sample bolt, you'll never get the length or head right. You should probably get iron bolts, nuts, and washers to prevent galvanic problems. Put it back together with lots of Dolphinite bedding compound, and torque it down to about 50 ft-lbs, then start on the next bolt. When they're all changed, torque all the bolts to the max recommended for the diameter bolt you are using (ask for the specs when you buy the bolts). When everything is tight you can either refair the keel root, or (if you have a real masochistic streak) take the opportunity to strip the keel completely (old bottom paint, fairing, Bondo, whatever), prime it with an anti-corrosive paint/epoxy, refair it nice and pretty, and repaint it with antifouling.

Take lots of pics during the process, because when you're done you can post them and then you'll be the SailNet guru when it comes to replacing the bolts in this sort of keel.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 10-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Coronado 27 has an iron keel with a flanged root. As such, replacing the keel bolts is very different from doing so on a boat with a lead keel.

The root of the keel sits in a "shoe" molded into the underside of the hull, and the bolts probably have countersunk heads. Remove/replace one bolt at a time. To replace the bolts you get the nuts off (use a nut splitter, cut the nut with a cut-off wheel, or just cut the bolt), then hammer the bolt from inside the boat until the head makes enough of a "pimple" in the fairing so you can tell where it is from the outside. Cut/dig/remove enough fairing to make the head of the bolt visible from the outside (or just hammer it all the way through), and hammer the bolt the rest of the way out. (Did I mention that the boat should be out of the water?). Now, take that bolt to someone with an assortment of iron pan-head bolts and match it as close as you can. Don't bother trying to figure out the size until you've removed a sample bolt, you'll never get the length or head right. You should probably get iron bolts, nuts, and washers to prevent galvanic problems. Put it back together with lots of Dolphinite bedding compound, and torque it down to about 50 ft-lbs, then start on the next bolt. When they're all changed, torque all the bolts to the max recommended for the diameter bolt you are using (ask for the specs when you buy the bolts). When everything is tight you can either refair the keel root, or (if you have a real masochistic streak) take the opportunity to strip the keel completely (old bottom paint, fairing, Bondo, whatever), prime it with an anti-corrosive paint/epoxy, refair it nice and pretty, and repaint it with antifouling.

Take lots of pics during the process, because hen you're done you can post them and then you'll be the SailNet guru when it comes to replacing the bolts in this sort of keel.
What you describe sounds like the way the keel is mounted on a Thunderbird - essentially large flathead machine screws upside down through the flange.

I'm not certain but I would suspect the keel on a Coronado would be mounted like the keel on My Columbia 43 which was similar but utilized studs threaded into the flange rather than jumbo screws through the flange.

That's the way it was done on the Columbia 26 which I believe was the same hull, with a different "lid" as the Coronado 27.

Do the following pics qualify me for "guru" status?
Attached Thumbnails
what do you keel bolts look like?-48.-keel-being-prepped-4.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-55.-keel-joint.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-63.-new-keel-hardware-3.jpg   what do you keel bolts look like?-64.-new-keel-floors.jpg  
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.