SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tiller Pilot

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  SHNOOL 
#1 ·
Looking for an auto pilot for my tiller steered boat...PY26@ 6,500-6,800# (depending on who you ask)..

The Raymarine ST 1000 is good to 6,600# and I'm right near that limit, and the ST2000 goes to 10,000# definetly within the limit...

The ST1000s are available "used" for $200 most of the time...$400 new...ST2000 $480 new...(haven't seen any used..)

So... If the ST1000 is strong enough for my boat, I'd prefer used, unless they take such a beating I would want "new/warranty"...in which case for $80 more I'd get the ST2000...

So the frugal sailor question is.... New, used, or go big...?

#2 ·
Also, I'd like to mount it rearward, toward the transom, so won't have as much "leverage" as it would out near the handhold...

Will that make a difference powerwise or sensitivity wise..?

#3 ·
I have a used 1000 for my Tartan 27. Works great. The T 27 is known for it's balance under sail, so the tiller pilot doesn't work too hard. Having said that, it's usually better to go up one size. If your just tooling around and don't have big plans, you're probably ok with the 1000.

#4 ·
I have a st1000 on my 28 foot boat. My disp is around 6300#'s. it works fine. I think one of the main determining factors would be how much force can act on your tiller. On my old Catalina 27 before upgrading the rudder I would have never been able to use a ST1000. My current boat has a very light feel on the tiller if at all.

#5 ·
Tiller "feels" light, but I built it 6" longer than stock...But if I mount the AP rearward (closer to hinge point) it'll take a bit more "umph" to move it...

The other concideration is "sensitivity".. The 2000 has "reciprocating ball" movement which sounds smooth...

Does anyone know if the 1000 uses balls or belt for rod movement...?

#10 ·
Given what you've said Squidd, I would personally go with the 2000. Given your description of being close to the max. displacement, plus wanting to mount it closer to the pivot point, both would lead me to go bigger. But $$$ may dictate otherwise.

I went through the tiller pilot purchase recently, and with one season under our belt I can say I am very pleased with our Raymarine pilot. It appears robust, and response speeds are adequate for most conditions. That said, ours is the largest Raymarine tiller pilot (X-5 GP), so this may not be a useful comparison.

#14 ·
Also, I'd like to mount it rearward, toward the transom, so won't have as much "leverage" as it would out near the handhold...
I think most tiller pilots have pretty specific guidelines for the position of the unit. Usually a 18 inches from the rudder axis of rotation. Probably don't want to mess with that too much. Also, you may need to purchase additional adapters to make it fit your boat.

#15 ·
I'm seeing most tiller pilots are mounted that far back...which is what I wanted...

I thought they were mounted quite a bit further forward

#16 ·
I put a TP32 on my 7850# boat and have great success with it, except occasional RFI from overhead aircraft - probably their approach radar. The larger unit just lopes along and never seems stressed.
Before you decide which one you want, get the installation instructions and measure everything out on you boat. Once I decided exactly where I could intall it according to the instructions, the actual installation was fairly straight forward.
A tiller pilot has been a god send for sail handling while single handed.

#17 ·
I use a Navico TP100 (essentially the predecessor to the Simrad TP10) on my 6700 lb Cal 2-27. It seems to work fine, as long as the seas are not too big and/or have too short a period (in "big chop" it just has to work harder than it probably should). But, that would be a problem for any tiller pilot on a small boat.

#18 ·
I am using the st1000+ on my 25 footer, but my disp is only 3500#, so I can only attest to it working well for that. Also the tiller on the Capri 25 is very light, so mine if anything over-corrects at times. The device seems more than adequate though given the conditions.

Frankly I considered used when I bought mine, but found most of the "used" devices had outlived their usefulness.

I'd say bite the bullet, go to the ST2000, and buy new. You won't be disappointed. I know money spent is a huge object, but this is one of those things you won't be happy if you spend X and it doesn't work. I think the ST1000 would work, but may wear out premature and frankly, their service on these is good... but probably not if you don't size correctly.

PS: I know my decision was ST1000+ over the TP10 because the Raymarine had NEMA if I ever wanted it (price was negligable difference)... I don't think there is a similar difference between the TP22 and the ST2000, and have found good reviews for both brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.