Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Dual Charger *and* battery combiner

I recently purchased a boat, and I'm checking out the wiring (will verify or convert to Stu Jackson recommended battery switch configuration).

Interestingly, I've discovered that it has a dual output charger (Guest), as well as a battery combiner (Blu Sea ACR).

Under shore power, the dual output of the charger would appear to make the combiner redundant, but of course under alternator charging, the combiner would come into play.

But here's my quandary: It appears that the combiner essentially connects the dual outputs of the charger together, a practice which the Guest owner's manual seems to caution against. I could just disconnect and abandon one output of the charger, but I'm reluctant to give up the overall charging capacity (as well as the independent "smart charging" ability).

Any suggestions?

Russ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

addict is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to addict
Dual Charger *and* battery combiner

My stepdad had the same question. He emailed blue seas and their suggestion was to put a switch on the ground side of the acr. Without a ground the acr will not latch.
Old 10-18-2012

Re: Dual Charger *and* battery combiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
My stepdad had the same question. He emailed blue seas and their suggestion was to put a switch on the ground side of the acr. Without a ground the acr will not latch.
Interesting. Instead of a switch, I could use a relay, such that when the charger is energized, the ACR is disabled.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Sure, you could use a relay, but why complicate it? Put a toggle switch int he ground leg of the combiner. In fact, the Yandina combiner instructions mention doing just that. For an ACR, read the manual.
Old 10-18-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post

Interestingly, I've discovered that it has a dual output charger (Guest), as well as a battery combiner (Blu Sea ACR).
What model Guest?

Quote:
Under shore power, the dual output of the charger would appear to make the combiner redundant, but of course under alternator charging, the combiner would come into play.
I would simply wire the charger as a single output to the house bank. We'd need the model of the charger to properly explain how to do that.

Quote:
But here's my quandary: It appears that the combiner essentially connects the dual outputs of the charger together, a practice which the Guest owner's manual seems to caution against. I could just disconnect and abandon one output of the charger, but I'm reluctant to give up the overall charging capacity
Depending upon the charger you may give up nothing or you can simply lead both red wires to one bank. This way you get the full output. If it is a distributed by demand type then using one output will be fine.

Quote:
(as well as the independent "smart charging" ability).
Sadly this is what many people "think" they get with a dual output charger. You still have ONE charger and ONE voltage yet two outputs with diodes. Each bank gets the same charge algorithm as the other. They are anything but "independent" smart charging.

Quote:
Any suggestions?

Russ
Yep run it as a single output to the house bank and let the ACR do the rest...
chef2sail and mitiempo like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-18-2012

I'll check the model number tonight.

Russ
Old 10-18-2012

Charger is a Guest "Cruising Series", model 2633A.

Manual contains the following statement: "Connection Warnings: Do NOT connect the outputs of the 2633A in series or parallel while charger is AC powered ON. Charge separate battery systems only. While charger is AC powered on, battery switch must be set to "OFF", "1", or "2", not "both".

From the specification sheet, it appears that one output is rated for 10 amps, and the other for 20.

Based on all this, the two outputs seem (to me) to be independent, which would imply that I should disconnect and abandon one output, or put a switch/relay in place to defeat the ACR while on shore power.

Comments?
Old 10-18-2012

Also, while the manual doesn't specifically mention that the charging outputs operate independently, there are status lights for each output, and when I rotate the battery disconnect switch, the light pattern varies between the two outputs. In other words, each output seems to be "doing it's own thing".
Old 10-19-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

You are correct, the outputs are not designed to be combined. The switch in the ACR's negative is the best solution.
Old 10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sure, you could use a relay, but why complicate it? Put a toggle switch int he ground leg of the combiner. In fact, the Yandina combiner instructions mention doing just that. For an ACR, read the manual.
To me, the advantage of the relay is that it is "sailor proof". I agree that a switch has greater mechanical reliability, but when coupled with human factors (gotta remember to open the switch when connected to shore power, and then remember to open it when not), the overall reliability of a switch is lower than a relay, I suspect.