Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-19-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Please recommend custom tank makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Just because I have to be self serving...

We make custom titanium tanks. Not necessarily the cheapest, but they are immune to corrosion, and are not nearly as expensive as you might think.
Can you give us a ballpark of the cost of a 24.00"L x 20.00"W x 12.00"H - 23 gallon - fuel tank in titanium?

$100, $1000, $10,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2012

baboon is on a distinguished road

Another option if a custom tank is too expensive is to make your own out of wood and epoxy. Better quaility ply with thickened epoxy seams and many layers of epoxy inside will make a very sturdy tank for not much money. DSCN1940.jpg
This is a holding tank I made so I did not have to worry about the epoxy being OK for drinking water, so for a water tank you would have to do some research about safe interior coatings.
Attached Thumbnails
Please recommend custom tank makers-dscn1940.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

What thickness, and are you talking just a rectangle, or does it have compound shapes?

The most expensive I have seen was a highly complicated V berth tank, that had 14 sides due to it being specced to exacally fit into the curve of the hull as it came up from the centerline, as well as being structual enough to take the place of the normal boards that would have supported the V berth. Including three access plates, three pickups, and four returns it ran just over $5,000. This included preassure testing, shipping and duties. And was made out of 1/8 inch titanium. I tried to figure out the volume, but got lost trying to break it into pieces to figure out the volume. But suffice it to say that the tank weighs in at 65lbs.

A much more reasonable 85 gallon rectangular tank (45"x35"x12") made from 1/16" sheet ran just over $2,500.

I would really have to price it since both of these are old quotes, and prices have come down since then. But I would just roughly guess a 24"x20"x12" would be in the $1,000-$1,200 range. But I wouldn't want to be held to those numbers because the specific design could radically change the cost. That rediculously complicated one for instance had every edge double welded, and it had an insainly amount of welds due to the number of panels. A simple box where we could use a break machine to bend the corners, and just have to weld one seam would be a lot less expensive, just because of the man hours difference.
Old 10-20-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Thank you Greg. Those examples were very helpful. I am happy to learn that it is not as pricy as I thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 10-20-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Would not recommend any metal tank for holding.
I do recommend Raritan Engineering for plastic holding and water tanks. They have approx 1500 shapes/sizes in their catalog and will make any shape\size you want plus place inlet/outlet/vent/access where ever you stipulate. I ripped out our old fiberglass holding with leaking stainless fittings and had them build a made to measure one, cost ~$400 (a few years back).
Old 10-22-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As for lifespan... I just found out today that titanium tanks are used to store radioactive waste. With an expected lifespan of 100,000 years.
Sure, just when you think you can rely on your friggin' titanium tank, it goes and rusts after 100,000 years!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.