SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Please recommend custom tank makers (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/93234-please-recommend-custom-tank-makers.html)

Summercamp 10-18-2012 04:25 PM

Please recommend custom tank makers

I need a new water tank and and a new holding tank. Both will require a custom made tank as I can't find one of the correct size or shape that are rotomolded and readily available (Ronco, Raritan, Moeller, etc). I would like to go with plastic for the holding and water tank. I would also consider stainless for water tank.

Can someone recommend a plastic tank maker? Someone that will weld a custom made plastic tank?

Also looking for recommendations on a stainless steel tank maker.

I am located in the mid-Atlantic area. Both tanks are of a size that could be shipped.

Thanks!

Maine Sail 10-18-2012 04:34 PM

Re: Please recommend custom tank makers

Triple M Plastics in Maine is excellent and pretty reasonable. High end builders like Lyman Morse even use them.. They can ship anywhere.

Tanley 10-18-2012 04:48 PM

Was in the same situation last year and got a local recommendation for Polyfab. Since they were close, I went with them. I dropped off the old holding tank and they did a great job on a complex form - quick and accurate - but not cheap. I didn't shop the job around, but expect to pay a lot more for a custom tank than a prefab.

http://www.polyfab.biz/index.html

b40Ibis 10-18-2012 05:12 PM

What are the original tanks made of? Stainless? or plastic. A local welding shop should be able to replicate them. I just had my original 38 year old tanks repaired. They we leaking at the threaded inlet/outlets which had corroded.

Capt Len 10-18-2012 05:32 PM

Threaded bits must be inert like 316 ss before a bronze valve in a welded tank. Any good shop should be able to fold and weld a tank.I do it so it can't be rocket science.Fuel tanks should have a heavier sump (bit of 3 inch pipe)with a drain at the bottom for condensation. Valve should be accessible and elbow easily removable so it can be poked with a coat hanger when the day comes.

SkywalkerII 10-18-2012 05:53 PM

Ocean Link in Rhode Island. Great company, large selection, custom builds. I have purchased two holding tanks from them over the years.

Stumble 10-19-2012 02:35 AM

Just because I have to be self serving...

We make custom titanium tanks. Not necessarily the cheapest, but they are immune to corrosion, and are not nearly as expensive as you might think.

Barquito 10-19-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

We make custom titanium tanks. Not necessarily the cheapest, but they are immune to corrosion, and are not nearly as expensive as you might think.
Titanium. That is cool.

What about just making them out of epoxy and glass, and coating with a FDA approved epoxy? Would probably last longer than metal (except maybe titanium), and can make the exact shape as the space.

rikhall 10-19-2012 12:47 PM

I recommend Ocean Link - here is what I did:

Installing new holding tank

Rik

Stumble 10-19-2012 03:31 PM

Barquito,

I am not a fan of homemade fiberglass tanks. They can be done well, but must be pressurized to ensure they won't spring leaks, and most home builders don't have the equipment. That being said, they work fine when build correctly.

As for lifespan... I just found out today that titanium tanks are used to store radioactive waste. With an expected lifespan of 100,000 years.