Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-19-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Packing gland adjustment

Doing the adjustment on my packing gland. Before it was pouring water out in a stream that left a huge amount of water in the boat after a bilge pump failed. Now I have adjusted it and I get a drip every 20-30 seconds. Does that sound about right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Packing gland adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Doing the adjustment on my packing gland. Before it was pouring water out in a stream that left a huge amount of water in the boat after a bilge pump failed. Now I have adjusted it and I get a drip every 20-30 seconds. Does that sound about right?
Is that with prop turning? If so, I would say it is good, feel your prop (or measure with infra thermometer), It should be cool to warm, but not hot.

People say no drip at 0 revs, but mine normally drips some.
Old 10-19-2012

Wcoast sailor is on a distinguished road
It should drip once a minute with the engine off. At the dock, turn on the engine and at idle put it in gear. It should remain cool with the shaft turning. There is a new material that doesn't leak. Had it installed when I had the bottom done. Boat stays dry now.
Old 10-19-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

NN,
If you haven't seen this link yet then you should read it: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Chances are you need to re-pack your stuffing box. Sounds difficult but in reality is pretty easy to do once you read the article above. The somewhat famous author of that link is not fond of the green "no drip" putty packing and there are some good cheaper packing materials he mentions in the article.

It sounds like your drip has slowed since you tightened the bolts. If this would be your first time replacing the stuffing box packing then maybe you can wait until your next haul out to do the full replacement, even though it can be done in the water.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Thx. It was replaced last year when the boat was hauled and the bottom painted. I don't think it needs to be replaced just yet I think it just needed to be adjusted.

Old 10-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Yes, you probably just need to sneak up on the right tension on the stuffing box nuts to get almost no drops with the shaft at rest. And no, your packing most likely does not need replacing if it was re-done last year. Re-packing the stuffing box is more like a 5+ year maintenance event.
As others have noted, you can check the temperature of the stuffing box after the shaft has been spinning for a while with your hand. You just don't want it to run hot to the touch.
Perhaps NewportNewbie was not the best long term screen name for you, as you seem to have learned quite a lot in not so long, which is good!

It took me several tries to get our stuffing box nuts just right after we replaced the shaft, cutless bearing, shaft log hose and packing material this spring. It takes some tweaking, is all.

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.