Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Grid system repair

The following pictures are from a Beneteau 32s5 that suffered some damage. As you can see it uses a structural grid system.
What would be the process to repair this damage and can it be repaired well?
How is that grid connected to the hull.
As you can see the keel may be pushed up a little bit. It is very subtle but I would think that it should bow down not up as the ruler acting as a straight edge shows.
The first picture shows the grid system
The second picture shows how the aft end of the keel is pushed up a little
The third picture may be easier to see without the straightedge in the way.
The fourth picture shows a structural crack.
Attached Thumbnails
Grid system repair-2012-10-13-16.02.08-small-.jpg   Grid system repair-2012-10-13-15.43.38-small-2-.jpg   Grid system repair-2012-10-13-15.42.51-small-.jpg   Grid system repair-2012-09-27_13-34-40_667-small-.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 10-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012

Re: Grid system repair

BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Alberg 30

This guy says they glue the floor grid system in place.
Old 10-19-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

A grid is usually "bonded" to the hull. Beneteau-US can tell you on Monday but I'd expect this is structural adhesive or epoxy of some kind.

The repair to the grid would be a conventional fiberglass repair, i.e. grind back the edges of the crack at the correct angle, layer in new layers of glass, build it back up, same as working on a hull just more complicated when you're trying to work around right angles. Still, small area, simple enough to overbuild the repair. Aesthetics aside.

That the keel has stayed pushed up may mean the grid was pushed up more than it seems, or the hull pushed up and the grid is now holding it in the wrong position. I suspect that Beneteau would say a "proper" repair means removing the grid entirely, checking for hull damage and keel alignment, then reinstalling a new grid or repairing and reinstalling the old one, after checking it for proper shape. And since it is the keel, that really might be the only proper way to do it.

An oscillating saw might allow you to cut the old grid free without damaging it, but I'm almost afraid to ask what B would charge to supply a new grid if they still can. As opposed to taking this one to the local auto body shop. (G)
Old 10-20-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I am not familure with this in Beneteau's but I have seen it repaired on some significantly larger boats. Basically they took off the deck, remove the entire interior, then removed the grid, fixed the grid, then working backwards reinstalled everything. The problem is that when it separates like this there is often grid damage that destroys the stringers. The only way to repair this is to cut out the bad, and replace it.

The boat I am thinking of had a quote for the repair of $135,000 on a vessel worth about $160,000 in good shape. I was involved with a potential buyer that wanted to try and fix it for cheap to take cruising. Thank god they didn't. This however was a 46' boat with very limited access to the damaged grid.
Old 10-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Faster is currently doing a very similar job to his Fast 345 and doing a very nice job of it. I asked him to post pics & the process when he's done.

He is not repairing damage though, just putting in additional reinforcing for his own peace of mind but the process is much the same.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 10-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Ran aground at high speed?

I understand the structural grid system can be a very sturdy design, but have always wondered about cutting access for tubing and piping, as in these pics. The factory themselves does it.

I'm sure it is uneconomical to fully repair correctly. It may be one of those that is repaired to be safe, but is never right again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Been through the 20000 dollar version on Zzzooom and at best it was necessary to cut out the liner to even assess the full extent of the damage

Its really unlikely that if you flexed the hull enough to crack the grid and debonded it from the hull that the hull does not have hidden delamination issues as this was a significant issue on Zzzoom

Its really hard to see the delamination when its covered it paint as it turns the glass a milky white color
davidpm likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-20-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Probably caused by the event you posted a while back. "Best boat ever built" as I recall.
Jim
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrafford View Post
Probably caused by the event you posted a while back. "Best boat ever built" as I recall.
Jim
It also came ashore during a storm a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-20-2012

To do a repair I suspect the boat would have to blocked up some how to take the weight off the keel and restore the shape. Not sure how that would be done safely as blocking is usually done with most of the weight on the keel.