Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-20-2012
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Bought 37 Islander Need Stands Quick

I just bought an Islander 37 MS and need to round up some stands ASAP.

I found some locally in the (craigslist) Panama City, FL area but he want's to sell them all at once, 40 or more.

The man that will haul my boat said... that he'd help me set 6 X 6's and will set 3 on each side and 1 on the nose. I need to cut 3/4 inch by 1 ft. square plywood .. to place between the post tops to go against the hull. After setting the 6 x 6's, 2 x 4's will be screwed in blace for X bracing. I was told that some yards use this method when they don't have the metal stands and works well if everything is set up properly.

Note: I'm Still Looking for Sail Boat Stands, I think the correct size is (S-2's). I understand that the best place to buy them (price wse) is the -- Scaffle Co. in NC, the size I need is -- $ 105.00. Also, I will be going up that way on Thanksgiving. I could pick them up (still unk. NC location) and save the freight to FL.

I'm still looking for Used Ones and need 6 for the sides, 1 for the bow.

Please email me if you have some stands in my local [Bonifay, 32425] area, or know of a location where I could check further. Also, perhaps .. plans, to make them out of angle iron or pipe. I have shop tools, welders, metal saw, etc. but I'd rather buy used stands .. then spend the time making them up.

Please drop me line (contact information) here or email me at -- arbakerjr at hotmail dot com

Thank You,

Avery (HighFly27)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Bought 37 Islander Need Stands Quick

I dabble around a bit with welding and have a pretty extensive shop

And it's not remotely possible to make stands that are of equal quality to what you buy as the threading alone for the adjustments takes so much time

And six stands is pretty bare min on a 37' boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 10-20-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2012

Wow & Wow Again.. Very, Very Nice,

I have a decent shop as well but after seeing your Rudder Construction.. I was impressed, never say something .. I don't mean.

Where did you get the Stainless. I know where to buy the steel but stainless is not that common from what I know from the local supply company.

I could build the (if I have too) stands but I'm 64 and not that fast anymore.. maybe I never was.. little joke on me. Finding a 1" dia. acme screw rod about 18" to 24" or so would be a trick ( I live in the sticks in Bonifay, FL).

Thanks for the Info. & Great Picture's (you can be proud).

Avery
Old 10-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Another option would be to build a wooden cradle for your boat. Then you would need a hydraulic trailer to move it, or a Travel Lift for launching and putting to bed. It would not be that cheap for the materials either as you'd likely need to use 6x6s and 8x8s with big old bolts to hold it together.

I still think your best bet is to get used metal stands if you can find them; the more the better. Use craigslist to check Pensacola, and other areas where there are marinas. Check even farther to the west into AL/MS and as far aways as Tampa.

Everybody has one:

Old 10-21-2012

I have one ace card, I have a swing blade sawmill and can saw up anything in no time. I have some logs that are about six (cheap SYP) months old. I was keeping them for 16 footers' 4 x 4, on up to 8 x 8s' for a pole barn type shed over my sawmill. I had other things going on & never sawed them.. but need to saw them up on Monday as ... the 1st order of business.

I've already made a hand shake with the boat transporter of my boat (if I did not find stands) to saw these logs & use 6 x 6 post's for sides. I could, or may do the one front Vee support. I need to buy some angle iron and try to find the biggest all thread I can find.. 3/4 inch is the biggest I know of from Lowe's (I think).

I will continue to look for used stands. I said, earlier, about a has 6 of the higher sailboat stands but want's to sell them all.. he has 40 of them to sell in one lot.
Old 10-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

WM has them for around $200 ea. depending upon the height you need. I'm sure there are other suppliers that may or may not be cheaper......but still, if you can find used, they hopefully will be less than the $$ I quoted.

Marty
Old 10-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Boats used to be deck shipped from Taiwan to Vancouver (and presumably elsewhere) on wooden cradles. Build it yourself.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-21-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

There were some used stands on eBay...
Old 10-21-2012

Capnblu is on a distinguished road

Instead of using ACME screws, I used a piece of 2" solid round, with holes drilled every 1" 90 degrees apart. I stapled carpet to 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, with a piece of angle iron welded to a 3" piece of pipe for pads. i set the stands and tightened the chains with a 1/2" piece of threaded rod, about 16" long with nuts and washers.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 10-21-2012

Good Suggestion & I can do that, thanks for the information.

I was looking around my shop and opened the box of a -- under the car tri-pod support stand, goes up to 79 inches, rated at 4,000 lbs, bought at Harbor Freight (HF). I bought this stand about 2 months to adapt with rollers & hyd. cyl. to put up dry wall. However, HF sells a dry wall tool and I bought it later on.

Now, if I buy a longer length of angle (needs drilled in 2 places) iron tomorrow, I can assemble the stand with (1) longer leg... will set up to -- 30 or ? degree angle; install -- 1 ft X 1 ft. sq. plywood to the stand end, cover plywood with carpet and that should do it. I plan on buying extra angle to tie all 3 legs together to make the base solid. The HF (chnged over) stand should be just like the other (true) sailboat stands. The HF stands are on sale for $ 59.00 bucks, plan on buying 6 or 8 of them tomorrow in Pensacola, FL. I like the feature of telescoping feature of the HF stand, can set it as you like .. every 6 inches. I figure (est.) about $ 20.00 more in materials i.e. angle iron, ext. plywood, bolts, etc., so $ 80.00 bucks per stand and not a major effort. I'm going to try it and if it works well, will post picture's. I need to set the (1) HF stand up with a big vee welded on to the support end, should not be a big deal.