SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Advice on Electonics (older but bullet proof)

682 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  HighFly_27 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1970 Islander 37 MS and has very little electonics (salvage boat) remaining and the boat is not home yet.

It has (by picture) a Raymarine Auto Pilot control head but unknown condition. I'm asking are their -- Operational checks, other than turning a unit on and going through a self check ? Can these autopilots be checked for operation in any way while on stands. I realize the boat will not have water flow, boat movement & changing direction. Under sail.. you'd see the autopilot .. directing movement, it's input's to command the rudder to move.

My No# 1 Question, I need to outfit this boat with about everything, including GPS, perhaps a lower ended radar. I can't afford to buy all new electronics and need advice on the -- Known Good Stuff. I have looked at the Boat Electronics on Ebay and some of it has a warranty. So, I'm asking for recommendations, I was thinking about 5 years old technology. Electronics that takes the - heat, mositure, user friendly, can see display in bright sunlight, color display... most important, (nearly) bullet proof. Forgot, I was looking - to combine the GPS, Auto Pilot, Live Tracking with Charts in the same unit.

Radar, would be my last item to add to the boat. I see some of them (complete package) on EBay, starting out at $ 750.00. I was thinking I could buy (tested) a good unit for around $ 1 to 1.5 K (used).

I need a VHF radio and a hand held for a back up, what do you recommend ?

Future plans, in late Apr. or May; I will take the boat out for 1 or 2 day trips from Panama City, FL & return. Later, will sail further but one step at a time. I'm looking to competely outfit the I-37 as required but have a budget. I will tend to the the major items 1st -- Replace (broken) Rudder, Fix 4 x 4 hole in stern, rewire as needed, fix leaks at 6 side windows, paint bottom and top side, etc. .

Thanks in Advance,

Avery (HighFly27)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.