Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Chain measurement

If you can measure the width of the metal part chain link itself, ie diam of it, then overall width and length, you should be able to look it up online frankly. Then the issue is, do you have high test or bbb or std. high test usually has a G4 stamped on one side of the link. BBB has BBB on the side of all things.........

1/4" high test as we have here in the states, would probably work on your boat, depending upon the wind strength, altho 5/16" would be better. 1/4 is 6 or 8 mm IIRC the conversion.........then agen, being as I only have a brain electron, using is for the birds, or ifn when I use it, I pull the thing, that hurts! so I try not to! I let the wife do that! makes the marriage a bit better too, as she then feels she is useful!...

Marty
Old 10-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
If you can measure the width of the metal part chain link itself, ie diam of it, then overall width and length, you should be able to look it up online frankly. Then the issue is, do you have high test or bbb or std. high test usually has a G4 stamped on one side of the link. BBB has BBB on the side of all things.........

1/4" high test as we have here in the states, would probably work on your boat, depending upon the wind strength, altho 5/16" would be better. 1/4 is 6 or 8 mm IIRC the conversion.........
Thanks, Marty - that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I currently use 5/16" on the boat, but I think the spare stuff is only 1/4". I've had a look and can't see anything stamped on it - each link looks like it's been made from steel rod, bent, with a single weld then galvanised (ok, so the galvanising is powdery so maybe it isn't in as great shape as I thought, but it ain't completely rusty!).

I'll measure it up, cut off a bit and see what I can find that's similar.
Old 10-25-2012

cam,

if you are getting a bit younger like myself or the wombat you may need your reading specs to see the letters!

Marty
Old 10-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
cam,

if you are getting a bit younger like myself or the wombat you may need your reading specs to see the letters!

Marty
Right.. ok... I'll have a closer look.
Old 10-25-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Right.. ok... I'll have a closer look.
C ..... I'd be very surprised if that chain is high test. HT is pretty rare down here. I was thinking about getting some a while back and it was so damn problematic to find that in the end I just gave up.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
C ..... I'd be very surprised if that chain is high test. HT is pretty rare down here. I was thinking about getting some a while back and it was so damn problematic to find that in the end I just gave up.
Same here. So what is "normal" chain? Is it marked at all??

Just wondering how anyone would tell anchor chain from something you might buy at Bunnings...
Old 10-26-2012

Not sure what "Bunnings" is........but IIRC std strength chain does/may not have any markings. I'll be at a place with bunch's of chain tomorrow, I'll try to take a quick peak at the std, vs bbb vs HT. The HT I'm pretty positive as a G4 stamped on the side opposite outside part of the link from the weld. BBB in the same place.........

marty
Old 10-26-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Not sure what "Bunnings" is........but IIRC std strength chain does/may not have any markings. I'll be at a place with bunch's of chain tomorrow, I'll try to take a quick peak at the std, vs bbb vs HT. The HT I'm pretty positive as a G4 stamped on the side opposite outside part of the link from the weld. BBB in the same place.........
Bunning = Home Depot type place..

Thanks, Marty - I appreciete it..
Old 10-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Marty ... Bunnings .... huge hardware chain down under .... renowned for their low prices and really crappy quality.

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

To quick for me H .... big weekend for me. Sat down with rigger today re .....

New Main Sheet system .... going for Admirals Cup/German setup.

New traveller arrangement lines into cockpit instead of off the top of the arch.

Lever arrangement on inner forestay to allow quicker removal and re attachment.

Then on Monday off to Covers man for new boat covers and additional cockpit covers. (Hopefully to rid us of the "drip" off the solar panels when it rains and we are sailing. Remember that from the HCW ?)

All in all should be an expensive few days.

Cheers mate, and sorry for the hijack.

Andrew B
Classic30 likes this.