Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Chain measurement

I inherited a box of anchor chain (about 50m of it) with the boat, but it looks to be a size too small for me to use for anything much right now. It's in good nick so I was considering maybe selling it on EBay.

To do that though, I need to work out exactly what it is I've got sitting here. What do I need to measure to work it out and how do I do it? Can anyone recommend any good tables on line I could use??

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Chain measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
I inherited a box of anchor chain (about 50m of it) with the boat, but it looks to be a size too small for me to use for anything much right now. It's in good nick so I was considering maybe selling it on EBay.

To do that though, I need to work out exactly what it is I've got sitting here. What do I need to measure to work it out and how do I do it? Can anyone recommend any good tables on line I could use??

Thanks.
Why not just nip off a single link and head on down to local chandlery ? Find chain that matches and you are done.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Why not just nip off a single link and head on down to local chandlery ? Find chain that matches and you are done.
Nice idea.. I'll give it a try. I'm guessing Whitworths would have the largest range and be less likely to ask me how much I wanted to buy!

I suppose an angle grinder is the only way to cut chain??
Old 10-22-2012

fordo is on a distinguished road

No, but its easier than a hacksaw. A skilsaw with a metal cutting blade will work.
Old 10-22-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Or a big set of bolt cutters...
Old 10-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Bolt Cutters for sure .... surely you have bolt cutters on board your termite mound Hartley ? How else do you plan to cut away the rigging when the chain plates let go ?

bwahaha .....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Bolt Cutters for sure .... surely you have bolt cutters on board your termite mound Hartley ? How else do you plan to cut away the rigging when the chain plates let go ?

bwahaha .....
Cheeky Wombat!.. of course I do. They're about as rusty as my current anchor chain though.

It might work, perhaps, but personally I wouldn't have thought bolt-cutters would be strong enough to cut through high-tensile anchor chain. If they could, I'd be wanting to buy new chain!
Old 10-22-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I have bolt cutters on board for that very reason....but when I re-did the steering cable I tried to cut the 7x19 wire and it would not cut, but crushed it flat. Without shears I would cut rigging away at the swage.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 10-22-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I have bolt cutters on board for that very reason....but when I re-did the steering cable I tried to cut the 7x19 wire and it would not cut, but crushed it flat. Without shears I would cut rigging away at the swage.
Ok.. if you say so, I'll give it a try. Thanks Simon.
Old 10-22-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

You have very high expectations for your chain. Most bolt cutters will take care of this job quite easily.