Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012

anerussis is on a distinguished road
Does DOW 795 ever cure, bond or dry?

As previously posted I surface installed new windows on my C&C 26. As suggested i used Dow 795 caulking. Now more then a week later this Dow stuff is still tacky and soft. I smeared a line of it between two scraps of left over pieces of 1/4" acrylic and several days later I was able to very easily slip them apart. It seems that this stuff has no more bonding strength than ordinary water. I am now very glad I also used double sided tape and some screws.
Old 10-25-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road
Re: Does DOW 795 ever cure, bond or dry?

Description
Dow Corning® 795 Silicone Building Sealant is a one-part, cold-applied, non-sagging silicone material that cures to a medium modulus silicone rubber upon exposure to atmospheric moisture.

This seems like an odd way to cure and am not sure what the advantages are.

I'd be curious where you got the advice to use this. I'm not familiar with it and may have to redo some ports, hence my interest....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2012

I think that if you google search "Dow 795 sailboat " you will find much info.
Old 10-25-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

Good to see you amigo I was literally thinking about you today amid thoughts of the window replacement issue

In regards to the windows I'm still scheduling when I am going to do mine- probably in early November before I leave for the islands

I have been looking at several options, further, curious how you wrestled with the aluminum framing, if you did damage any sections, & did you replace it and how!

I was going to put in a solar vent this week- one of the VERY knowledgeable old-timers from the marina suggested using GE silicone, perhaps this:
http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-II-paintable-silicone.php
though I will ask him tomorrow- a remarkable attention to detail person, once mentioned to me he built custom boats during which the final phase involved lining up the slots on the Philips heads!

Curious about the 795 too as I remember some poster raving positive~ now I'm quite skeptical

Sure you could use some of our wonderful Florida weather for the next 2 weeks to help you dry out the product- several days of Blazing Sun... ignore the fact that were in the middle of a hurricane, yet you know what I mean
take care
-JD

Last edited by floridajaxsailor; 10-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2012

flyingriki is on a distinguished road

You got me interested so Googled some more. Here is some intelligent sounding advice:
Dow Corning 795 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Still funny that it only cures in atmospheric moisture. That seems to mean only the surface, but that may be the design while the interior of the bead stays soft until it gets exposed to moisture.....?
Old 10-25-2012

Re: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor View Post

I have been looking at several options, further, curious how you wrestled with the aluminum framing, if you did damage any sections, & did you replace it and how!

-JD
Did not re-use the frames - just surface mounted the plexi using automotive tape, Dow 795 and few screws. Have posted my procedure. The windows look good however a bit bothersome that the silicone and tape lines can be seen on close inspection. The Dow 795 compared to regular silicone is easy to work with in that it doesn't seem to be as sticky and takes a very long time to skin over. Another poster has advised that it needs moisture to cure which seems to explain why it didn't cure between my scrap plexi test pieces. However this is not mentioned anywhere on the tube instructions etc. I am wondering that if this stuff doesn't cure unless it comes in contact with moisture would it start runing between the plexi and the fiberglass under a hot summer sun.
Old 10-25-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I resealed our pilothouse side windows with it (DC795) and it cured to a rubbery texture much like 3M 4000. No leaks, very happy with it. It is designed for all kinds of glazing, including high rise buildings so I'm not sure what is going on with yours but it doesn't sound right.
kd3pc likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I've used DC 795 on several occasions, including once where a window cracked and I had to replace it. At that time the 795 had already been in place for about 4 years.

I removed the screws and yes, I was able to 'pry' the window off, but it did stay in place initially. Some of the 795 stayed with the window acrylic, some stayed 'stuck' to the cabin side. The stuff stuck to the cabin side was easy to cleanly remove by getting a scraper underneath it, it peeled off like a rubber gasket. It was soft and pliable, but not wet.

To me this is an advantage.. imagine trying to get 4 year old 4200 or 5200 off easily. I don't mind using the screws to hold the window down, having two methods of fastening never hurts. I wouldn't ever rely strictly on its 'adhesive' properties for an application like this. An office building fixed glass panel is another thing altogether.

One other thought... the stuff definitely has a shelf life and the tubes have a 'best before' date stamped on them.. maybe you got an old batch.
kd3pc likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
One other thought... the stuff definitely has a shelf life and the tubes have a 'best before' date stamped on them.. maybe you got an old batch.
Oh no...... just checked one of the tubes and on it was stamped 2010 -- so it seems they sold me old stock ------ on the pluss side yesterday I checked the windows again and the perimeter bead seems to have solidified although I am still able to leave a finger nail impression when pressing on it.
Old 10-26-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm going to slide this thread into a more appropriate forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne