SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm truly at a loss for words...REALLY!

21K views 125 replies 66 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
I photo-shopped the registration number to protect the innocent.

Work in progress...Wait for it!

Wait for it!

Introducing "Shingle Boat" :confused::eek:

If you can reno a house, you ran reno a boat!

THE END...:puke :puke :puke

See less See more
#96 ·

I always tie it so the tail is on the inside of the loop. Have I been tying it wrong the whole time? Or perhaps it doesn't matter.

Between the out-opening hatches and the chain rigging, we have a very observant group. Observant beyond any pale. Still the guy is sailing, and he's likely got it paid off. Poor workmanship or not, you need to walk a mile in his sandals. :)

Regards,
Brad

#4 ·
Dude, watch the manufacturers recommended exposure.
If you are going to use three tab roof shingles at least lap them properly so the self sealing spots are under the upper shingles.
Sheesh.
If your going to do a job do it right.

#5 ·
Where we at, Steve?.... Saltery?

I guess home is where you find it.

#12 ·
At first glance I would agree but in this case, I don't think so! And if this was one of them I wouldn't have posted it. Odd-ball liveaboards are commonplace in these waters. He's got a quite a few new lines running back to the cockpit and he has some rope clutches on the cabin top. To me, it looks like he's getting it ready to go. It's a work in progress and all fresh work.

#16 ·
This is unbelievable. What's holding those shingles down; roofing tar? The roof doesn't have enough pitch to let the shingles drain properly, so water will accumulate under the tabs. One freeze will lift the outer edges and allow even more water under the tabs. A second freeze will have them lift right off the roof. The next breeze will blow them all away. What he should have done is to put up a pitched roof made of 2x4's and A/C plywood, with the shingles properly nailed and copper flashing at the edges. Then he'd be able to properly insulate the "attic space" between it and the cabintop and lower his winter fuel bills. He'd have to be careful about electrolysis with the copper, but it would be manageable.

#17 ·
I wonder if he installed those shingles with roofing nails. Watch your head!

I noticed some hardware on the forward hatch of a 26 footer in a local marina this weekend. Closer inspection revealed the hatch was a kitchen cabinet door. Gotta love those raise panels.

#19 ·
Torch on roofing would have been a better choice of material.(amazing stuff) but you use what's available at the right price.Any roofer will give goodly sized chunks for free. Did you notice that he is on a boat and not wringing his hands worrying about how to get free? The perch and crabs under the dock are tasty and berries and fruit are just a walk up the road .You can keep your office job to pay for the gas to drive to the marina so you can write a cheque for the moorage and mortgage or slip out the back, Jack.

#22 ·
It's not often you see a boat that would look better with a couple of blue poly tarps stretched over it. Then again, this one isn't completely unique as I did see a couple of canal boats in England with shingles a couple of years ago, and quite a few with tarps (maybe they were hiding the shingles?).

#25 ·
C'mon now I'm sure with his apparent skill level he installed ice and water shield under the shingles to both stop any water leaks and seal around those pesky roofing nails. The only thing that disappoints me is he didn't shingle the sides mansard style, that would have finished it off perfectly. :hammer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.