SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm truly at a loss for words...REALLY!

21K views 125 replies 66 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
I photo-shopped the registration number to protect the innocent.

Work in progress...Wait for it!

Wait for it!

Introducing "Shingle Boat" :confused::eek:

If you can reno a house, you ran reno a boat!

THE END...:puke :puke :puke

See less See more
#37 ·
He also painted a solid brass hatch black.:eek: If that was a ferro hull he'd have the full monty.

#43 ·
I don't think it ever was a Canadian boat - it was granted refugee status. ;)

C'mon people - there MUST be a boat that fugly in the States - how about playing fair? :D

#54 ·
I think the guy is pretty talented. Imagine the modifications he had to do to his air compressor and nail gun to shoot through fiberglass.

Reactions: Andrew65 and arf145
#55 ·
Also look at the second photo. Take a good look at the rigging. :eek:

And is that a hatch or a residential sky light over the v-berth?

#60 ·
The image of lines running taught across that much heavy abrasive surface area and what it would do to the sheath makes my teeth hurt thinking about it... May be newer looking lines but probably won't stay that way.

But I confess... The chimney is sweet.

Shoulda' opened up one of those portlights and taken a few interior pics for us. The settee is probably a couch with the legs sawed off and wedged in place...

hmmmmm... that gives me an idea...

#62 ·
We ought to congratulate the green-and-black guy for doing and not just dreaming. Practical Sailor could earn some of their exorbitant price if they would track him down and monitor his boat, like they do bottom paint. He'll have problems, like the chafe Biology points out, and others as well. But some of his efforts will pay off. Most of us would probably not copy his roofing solution. But exactly how long will that roof last, if he doesn't get rolled over, as most of us never will? They used to caulk entire hulls with tar, and tallow before that. What kinds of things might this guy have done that will actually work?
I, like others, tend to accept marketing as convention and convention as dogma. And most conventional products work well. But what if the only people who sailed boats were the ones who won't pay 20 bucks for a partly-hollow tube of 3m, instead of predominantly the folks with more to spend? Would there be no more sailboats? Owning a boat would cost less. We know that the roots of our sailing interest go back to people of very modest means and with very primitive technology. Cheaper stuff can work.
We ought to send the green-and-black guy our leftover parts (ok, books, too) and ask him to keep in touch about his progress. Unless, of course, we find he's been smugly ridiculing us for being stupid enough to spend double for the picture of the boat on the blister pack.
John V

#63 ·
I sympathize with your attitude - I even like some ferrocement boats - but there ARE limits and shingling a cabintop is well beyond the pale. :D

#66 · (Edited)
It ain't about the shingles.

With no disrespect to the author of the above,
It's about the pale.
?? :confused: ??

Beyond the pale

Meaning

Unacceptable; outside agreed standards of decency.

I'd say a shingled cabintop is positively indecent. :D

#67 ·
I know what the 'beyond the pale' means, SJB--my point, put a little too obtusely, was: who are we to say where that line is? Look at the tone of some of the posts in this thread.
I'd buy him a beer any time.
OK, I'd buy some of you guys a Chardonnay, too, just to show there's nothing personal.
John V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.