SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

bottom painting question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  neverknow 
#1 ·
I have a small sailboat. I want to paint the bottom. This boat will only be in fresh water and it will always be put on a trailer after each use. Sad to say that it will probably spend more time on land then water. It is the only way owning a boat will work for me. I would like some input on what I should do to paint and protect the bottom of my sailboat. Could someone please give me some input?

#2 ·
You don't need paint on a hull that is dry sailed in fresh water. If you want it for cosmetic reasons, 2-part polyurethane is probably the toughest but the required prep and application is not easy. 1-part poly like Interlux Brightside would probably be best for DIY application

Reactions: Sabreman
#4 ·
Thank you for your input. Boat bottom paint had me spinning with all the choices. I have done some repairs and do want to change the color. The Interlux Brightside products look like just the ticket for my little boat. I now know that if my boating lifestyle changes, ( leaving the boat in the water.) my paint choice will also have to change. I breath a sigh of relief thanks to you smart senior members. I will be reading more threads to keep learning more. Thanks again.

#5 ·
I am just finishing a complete renovation of a 19 footer with a full keel. Used Brightsides blue for the topsides (side of boat above waterline ) and really liked the paint. Coverage was good. I used a foam roller only, no brushing after rolling. (tipping??) Was scared to death at 1st cuz' the roller put a zillion bubbles in the paint. Every one of them popped withing 5 minutes and I have a nice finish. (Air temp was about 78F) Note, the roller does leave some "Orange Peel" in the finish, which I actually like. Did not thin paint, went straight from the can to roller tray. If you have a mistake on a coat, you can wet sand the next day with 320 and cover any Uh-Ohs with another coat. I did the entire hull with two quarts and laid down 4 coats. I did one coat per day allowing about 18 hrs of dry time in case I had to sand. I used a white foam roller I bought at Home Depot, can't recall the brand...sorry...Was very smooth, white in color, about the size of a ball park hot dog I guess. Did use 2 primer coats since my hull was in rough shape from previous owner using a disc grinder to strip paint. Had to fill a ton of imperfections. Do anything to help ya' Bruce

#6 ·
If you gently "stroke" the paint immediately after rolling, with a paintbrush then the bubbles and the orange peel go away to leave a mirror finish. It is a technique called "roll and tip". It takes a little practice, but even a novice can get a really nice finish.

Brightside will work fine, and is (relatively) cheap and easy. A 2-part is slightly more difficult to handle, not as easy to recoat, but gives a tougher finish.

#9 ·
If you gently "stroke" the paint immediately after rolling, with a paintbrush then the bubbles and the orange peel go away to leave a mirror finish. It is a technique called "roll and tip". It takes a little practice, but even a novice can get a really nice finish.
I'm gonna try this when I paint the sliding hatch on the companionway. Not too big an area to redo if I screw up. If it goes well I paint the rest the same. What type of brush do you recommend ? Thanks... Bruce

#8 ·
Saberman. you are correct, but if the boat is only in the water for a few hours - as a daysailer - then brightside works fine. For longer periods in the water, 2-part.

I had an 18' dingy, never left in the water, and brightside worked fine for that - but as I said in my earlier post, it is soft, and won't last as long.

#11 ·
Foam brushes are surprisingly good for paint AND varnish. Be sure to get good ones though - the ones that look "foamy" - (lots of visible holes in the foam) are not nearly as good as the ones that have a more solid looking texture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.