Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012

small foot is on a distinguished road
bottom painting question

I have a small sailboat. I want to paint the bottom. This boat will only be in fresh water and it will always be put on a trailer after each use. Sad to say that it will probably spend more time on land then water. It is the only way owning a boat will work for me. I would like some input on what I should do to paint and protect the bottom of my sailboat. Could someone please give me some input?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: bottom painting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by small foot View Post
I have a small sailboat. I want to paint the bottom. This boat will only be in fresh water and it will always be put on a trailer after each use. Sad to say that it will probably spend more time on land then water. It is the only way owning a boat will work for me. I would like some input on what I should do to paint and protect the bottom of my sailboat. Could someone please give me some input?
You don't need paint on a hull that is dry sailed in fresh water. If you want it for cosmetic reasons, 2-part polyurethane is probably the toughest but the required prep and application is not easy. 1-part poly like Interlux Brightside would probably be best for DIY application
Sabreman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-27-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Yup, no reason to paint the bottom of a boat that is dry sailed.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2012

small foot is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your input. Boat bottom paint had me spinning with all the choices. I have done some repairs and do want to change the color. The Interlux Brightside products look like just the ticket for my little boat. I now know that if my boating lifestyle changes, ( leaving the boat in the water.) my paint choice will also have to change. I breath a sigh of relief thanks to you smart senior members. I will be reading more threads to keep learning more. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

I am just finishing a complete renovation of a 19 footer with a full keel. Used Brightsides blue for the topsides (side of boat above waterline ) and really liked the paint. Coverage was good. I used a foam roller only, no brushing after rolling. (tipping??) Was scared to death at 1st cuz' the roller put a zillion bubbles in the paint. Every one of them popped withing 5 minutes and I have a nice finish. (Air temp was about 78F) Note, the roller does leave some "Orange Peel" in the finish, which I actually like. Did not thin paint, went straight from the can to roller tray. If you have a mistake on a coat, you can wet sand the next day with 320 and cover any Uh-Ohs with another coat. I did the entire hull with two quarts and laid down 4 coats. I did one coat per day allowing about 18 hrs of dry time in case I had to sand. I used a white foam roller I bought at Home Depot, can't recall the brand...sorry...Was very smooth, white in color, about the size of a ball park hot dog I guess. Did use 2 primer coats since my hull was in rough shape from previous owner using a disc grinder to strip paint. Had to fill a ton of imperfections. Do anything to help ya' Bruce
Old 10-31-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

If you gently "stroke" the paint immediately after rolling, with a paintbrush then the bubbles and the orange peel go away to leave a mirror finish. It is a technique called "roll and tip". It takes a little practice, but even a novice can get a really nice finish.

Brightside will work fine, and is (relatively) cheap and easy. A 2-part is slightly more difficult to handle, not as easy to recoat, but gives a tougher finish.
Old 10-31-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Interlux Brightside products look like just the ticket for my little boat.
Do not use Brightsides below the waterline. It is not intended for in-water applications and will blister overnight. Use a 2 part urethane as SloopJonB recommends
Old 10-31-2012

Saberman. you are correct, but if the boat is only in the water for a few hours - as a daysailer - then brightside works fine. For longer periods in the water, 2-part.

I had an 18' dingy, never left in the water, and brightside worked fine for that - but as I said in my earlier post, it is soft, and won't last as long.
Old 10-31-2012

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
If you gently "stroke" the paint immediately after rolling, with a paintbrush then the bubbles and the orange peel go away to leave a mirror finish. It is a technique called "roll and tip". It takes a little practice, but even a novice can get a really nice finish.
I'm gonna try this when I paint the sliding hatch on the companionway. Not too big an area to redo if I screw up. If it goes well I paint the rest the same. What type of brush do you recommend ? Thanks... Bruce
Old 10-31-2012

Roll and tip; personally - and much to my surprise - I had good results with foam brushes. Cheap and disposable. I also used a small foam roller.