SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cleaning Hull in the water

16K views 66 replies 23 participants last post by  Fstbttms 
#1 ·
Advice humbly requested.

Salt water-ish (brackish estuary, but mostly salt). I have a 32' full keel fiber-glass boat. I am an accomplished diver (NITROX cert. as well). I can see some minor algea growth on the upper part of my rudder, so I am sure the entire hull (below water) is in similar shape, or not far off. Obviously the amount of sunlight reaching it is a factor as well.

I intend to clean it myself since I already own all the scuba gear. However, I have never done this before, and have VERY limited hull maintenance experience of any kind.

I went out and bought some of the course green (SOS type) of scrubbies. The type usually found in the sponge/dishwashing section of the grocery store.

Then, on the way home, I started thinking.... What if these are too course/hard.... and they do a great job eliminating the current growth... but then they cause countless tiny scratches that not only compromise the longevity of the hull coat... but also allow countless microscopic crevices for new marine life to get a foothold....thereby increasing my future problems 10 fold.

Perhaps, I'm over thinking this. I would really appreciate anyone's input that has first hand experience in doing this. Any advice on proper products to use...and which ones to stay away from.

Thank you !!

---Fair winds...

---tapske...
NIF

See less See more
#47 ·
Back in the 60's a device similar to that described by Brent was widely used, called a "boat bath" it was a plastic liner in your slip. After you pulled the boat in you poured in a gallon of bleach, they worked well and you didn't need to clean the bottom between races.
We also used bleach to catch octopus by pouring bleach over a rock at low tide and gaffing them when they scrambled out. Don't know how much this affected the environment but the octopi sure didn't like it.
Either practice will land you in jail here now.
I used to clean bottoms in my youth, it is truly a PITA, I think most divers are a bargain, you couldn't afford what I would charge.

#60 ·
In the same way that a small amount of cleaner contributes little to the water?

The comparison between industrial dumping, and a small amount of cleaner on a boat is the same. 10, 000 gallons of toxins from industrial usage is not the same. The analogy about everyone doing it applies just as well to the cleaning and small amount of copper released, except that the copper stays around longer.

Moderation and reasonable precautions are a much better solution than absolute bans based on lack of understanding of differences in scale.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.